Have Ewe Any Wool?

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Too Much Entertainment...AKA No Time to Knit!

.
Whew...what a whirlwind week!

Friday night, I headed downtown to the Warner Theater to see Sinbad in a fabulously funny show. I truly enjoyed it - he was very funny...especially when he "picked on" those who arrived late! I was quite impressed with how very current events were worked into his routine - very up to date references with great twists. My cheeks hurt from laughing by the end of the very entertaining evening.

I had planned to get some knitting in on the Metro...or perhaps once I got to my seat, but I was to full of anticipation on the way to the show...and full of excitement on the way home.

Sunday, it was off to the Old Brogue with DH and my friend Paula to see the Celtic group, IONA. They were fabulous as usual. I just love their music! This is the 2nd time we've heard them at the Old Brogue...plus, we've been to their show at Jammin' Java. Of course, we have ALL of their CD's - fabulous...just fabulous! The food at the Brogue is quite good too - I ordered the French onion soup and the Guinness Beef Pie. I also discovered a fabulous drink there as well - "The Dark Side of the Moon". It's a martini comprised of Vanilla Vodka, Kahlua, and Dark Creme de Cacao. Mmmmmm!!!!! What a wonderful evening!

Tuesday, it was back downtown for the viewing of Kevin Smith's latest movie, "Red State". We managed to hit the traffic just right and arrived downtown VERY early with lots of time to kill before the show.

We grabbed a bite to eat at a very unique restaurant, Funxion. The decor was very sleek and modern and the menu had tons of delicious sounding food and drink - all with a very healthy twist. It's the first FIT restaurant and bar. DH and I shared the guacamole with baked tortilla chips. I've gotta admit, I definitely prefer the full fat, full grease, salty tortilla chips over baked ones, but these weren't too bad. I had a bison slider and DH had the bison burger - both came with a side of fresh fruit. The sandwiches were DELICIOUS!!!! I definitely look forward to eating here again! It's evidently quite a hopping place on the weekend.

We still had quite a bit of time to kill, so we decided to get a pint at the tavern we saw about half a block down the street - Shelly's Tavern according to the awning. It turned out to be a cigar bar...Shelly's Back Room...I had no idea they were still allowed in DC...especially with all the bans on indoor smoking. It wasn't as bad as I'd expected...the cigars and tobacco were a much higher quality so they didn't have that obnoxious smell. In spite of that, we still drank our pints quickly and exited out into the fresh air. It was quite interesting...and I enjoyed the decor. I did gain a bit of appreciation for cigars, but still have no desire to ever try one.

Back to the show... Kevin gave some of the back story in a chat with the audience prior to the screening and then provided some commentary and Q&A for a couple of hours after the showing. Kevin is touring with his movie to raise the money for distribution to the various theaters. The movie was very disturbing and thought provoking - definitely a departure from his typical movies. It's definitely not a light and entertaining, but instead, a movie to make you think.

Wednesday, it was off to Reston's Center Stage Theater to see the fabulously funny Reduced Shakespeare Company perform "The Complete World of Sports (Abridged)". I did manage to work in a few rows on my green Jawoll "Magic" socks while awaiting the start of the show, but that was it...just a few rows. The show was incredibly funny - as usual. They even had some audience participation for some of the scenes!

It was a wonderful week, but VERY exhausting!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home