Have Ewe Any Wool?

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Blue Ridge Spinning and Weaving Inspirations

.
Oh, my! I saw such lovely samples of weaving this month at the Blue Ridge Spinners and Weavers Guild meeting. I definitely am feeling the "call of the loom".

Beth had commissioned a gorgeous rug from Jason Collingwood. It's absolutely gorgeous! The back side is predominately green (left) and the right side is a lovely burst of reds and oranges (right).


Beth also showed her sampler that she created in a recent class. It's gorgeous. I love the way some of the color interplay...and the 3-D effect of some of the weavings.




Debbie had a very interesting loom - it's an alternative to the traditional inkle loom (I can't remember what it's called). It has texsolv heddles and a brake - it's like a large loom only in miniature - perfect for weaving straps...and appears to be more versatile than the traditional inkle loom.
Edited to add: The loom is the mini-Wave, from Gilmore Looms.

And then, there was Chantal...she's so inspiring and incredibly talented. She created these gorgeous rugs on a very rustic style loom. Her eye for color and design is fabulous. She claims she's not yet a weaver, but I beg to differ. I think her work is incredible!

Here are a couple of Chantal's looms with a very cool project currently underway where she's twisting fabric strips as they're woven. I'm now convinced that I CAN do some incredibly things with my "Happy Loom". I'll start small. Perhaps I can craft some coasters before the next meeting?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home