Have Ewe Any Wool?

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Making the Best of a Wintry Day...

.
The forecast for yesterday was nasty...sleet and snow in the morning, just in time for the morning rush hour, and then heavy snow during the evening rush. I decided to make the best of an ugly forecast. By 3:30 PM, the "thunder sleet" had given way to "thunder snow" that was coming down at just over 2 inches per hour!

After dark, the snow with the ambient light and muted moonlight was bright enough for a couple of photos. (Left - front yard view; Right - back yard view)











I had made a big pot of Pasta e Fagioli soup on Tuesday, and decided to kick it up a notch and make it a main course. The flavors melded overnight and the pasta broke down a bit further thickening the soup. I added some hot Italian sausage to it to make it a "meal soup". Mmmmm! There's nothing better than a nice hearty bowl of pasta and bean soup on a snowy winter's night. DH loved it...especially after the 4 hr. commute home!

Some sort of bread was needed to accompany the soup and I wasn't about to head out to join the mobs at the grocery store that were inevitable early in the day! I found a great whole wheat French bread recipe on line and set about making the bread. I've only made bread a few times in my life without using a bread maker. This was a new adventure for me as I've NEVER made French bread of any sort!



The dough rose nicely - I was quite pleased! I then stretched it into an oblong shape, scored the top, and brushed it with egg. I was thrilled with the resulting bread! It was a wonderfully dense and hearty bread - perfect for the soup.










On the knitting front, I finished my "Panda Silk" socks! Wahoo! Another finished object for me. That makes two completed knitting projects for the month of January and one completed spinning project. (In addition to my two small "secret" projects.) I think I'm on a roll - I just hope I can keep the momentum up! I also managed to make a set of stitch markers...perfect for Valentine's Day.











The views outside this morning were beautiful! Unfortunately, the snow is so heavy, that many of the shrubs that had survived "Snowmaggedon" last year were bent over or broken now. Spring cleanup will once again result in gathering large piles of broken shrubs and twigs.




3 Comments:

  • At 2:25 AM, Anonymous pip said…

    mmm your pasta, bean and Italian sausage soup sounds delicious!

     
  • At 9:53 AM, Blogger pamela w allen said…

    we have no snow, nor is it even very cold, but that soup is a must...I'm off to make a pot with sausage, kale and cannellini...thanks for the inspiration!

     
  • At 11:04 AM, Blogger Lynn said…

    The snow is so beautiful! The bread is making me hungry!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home