Have Ewe Any Wool?

Friday, December 12, 2008

Norwegian Christmas at Union Station




Once again, I helped with the Norwegian Bazaar that's part of the annual Norwegian Christmas at Union Station in Washington, DC.






As in prior years, there was the lovely 30' Christmas tree donated by the people of Norway to the people of the USA. The model train was making its usual rounds as well.











It was very dark inside when I tried to take some pictures, so most were very dark. However, I did manage to get a few passable photos that should give you the idea of the goodies offered there this year. Here's one of our Sons of Norway members wearing her lovely Bunad while manning the jewelry table.



And of course, I had to get a shot of the table of goodies the Norwegian Church Service offered. I also managed to get a fairly decent photo of the giftware, glassware, and pewter...or at least what's left of it! (Much of it sold on Friday, so there was a limited amount left for sale on Saturday).





This year, I tried some of the featured Norwegian delicacies at the "center cafe" restaurant in the grand hall. It was fabulous! Oh, my. What a wonderful blend of flavors! I tried 2 appetizers and the dessert. Mmmmm! Definitely well worth the indulgence!






The first appetizer was somewhat unusual - it was smoked salmon wrapped in a tortilla. It was quite good. But then again, you really can't go wrong with smoked salmon, right?





Next were the lemon butter scallops with capers and sugar snap peas on a bed of pureed cauliflower. They were delicious as well.




Finally, I topped off my meal with the Troika cake. It was very good. Never having had Troika, I guess I was expecting a slightly different texture. In spite of my surprise at the texture and composition, I found it too to be very good. Of course, the chocolate on top only added goodness to the flavor!

3 Comments:

  • At 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That cake looks deliiiiiicious. Actually, it all looks delicious, but especially the cake. >_>

     
  • At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello again,

    I have commented your blog few times this month but I'm not sure that comments have been seen.

    I did post your first packet about twenty days ago and it should arrive before Christmas. I hope you like it.

    Merry Christmas,

    Secret Pal

     
  • At 8:56 AM, Blogger Jinann said…

    Hmmm.....the comment from 12/14 didn't post for some reason even though I approved it. Weird. I should have gone back to check.

    Thanks for letting me know!

    I can't wait to receive my package! Thanks soooo much!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home