Have Ewe Any Wool?

Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Civil War, Knitting, and an Angel

Quite a spread of topics, eh? Well, this has been a very interesting weekend - full of many interesting things.

I'll start with the Sons of Norway Lodge meeting on Friday. Our program this month was about the Scandinavian Regiment that fought in the Civil War. A group of 3 Civil War re-enactors provided a lot of background and information on the Scandinavian impact on the civil war while modeling their uniforms. More information about the 15th Wisconsin Regiment (aka the Scandinavian Regiment)can be found here.


One of the guys added some "special touches" to his gear to in order to identify himself as Norwegian. Here, you can see the replacement clasps on the satchel - instead of the standard buckle, he put Nordic sweater clasps on it when the original buckles were damaged/lost. The blanket the he used was a woven Norwegian cotton blanket instead of a wool blanket - something a bit cheery to remind him of the "home". One other "customization" was the addition of Norwegian embroidery to his suspenders.


Now, onto the knitting. I completed the scarf for my Ravelry exchange. The Malabrigo my swap partner sent was wonderful to work with. All I have left to do now is to block it. Sorry....I can't show a picture because my swap partner needs to be surprised. Although she supplied the yarn, she has no idea what pattern I selected to make her scarf. (I promise I'll post a photo later...once she's received her scarf!)


My friend Janet finished a fabulous shawl - isn't it beautiful? I love the swirls in the edging. Hmmm....dummy me doesn't remember the pattern. I need to check with her on that and then I'll update this post.


Today, a group of us got together to knit and have brunch - and of course, I started a new project. I started knitting a "green" shopping bag out of Fantasy Naturale yarn from Plymouth - in green, of course! It's a cable twist mercerized cotton yarn. No picture yet...sorry. The pattern is a freebie from their website called - free Fantasy Naturale Market Bag. It's quite easy and will be a quick knit.

Finally, the "Angels" part of my post. I received a fabulous package from my "Angel" - the lovely person that stepped in when my swap partner for the Ravelry POS and PINS swap in the Monthly Adventures group apparently dropped out and didn't send the anticipated pin. The package my angel sent was absolutely fantastic! She definitely went "above and beyond!" In addition to two pins (an angel and a smiling star), there were a pair of Debbie Macomber zippered bags for my knitting gear, 2 GooGoo Bars (chocolate, pecans, caramel and marshmellow - mmmm!), a monthly planner, a hand knit dish cloth, and a dish-towel and oven mitt in a "Fall Leaf" design - just in time to use for Thanksgiving! Many, many thanks to my wonderful "Angel". You've definitely earned your wings!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home