Have Ewe Any Wool?

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Blocking a Scarf.....Complete with "Signature"

I finally cast off the Inca Alpaca scarf that I'm making for a friend. It's been washed and soaked and is now blocking.













Much to my horror, I discovered a major error near the middle of the scarf (see bottom of picture below)! Amazing, isn't it, how blocking "reveals" your worst fears? After assessing the "damage" for a moment, I recalled another friend's hand-knit sweater with a slight error on one shoulder. She cherished that sweater as it had been knit for her by her mom. She said that the "error" wasn't really an error, but instead, her mother's signature....just as an artist signs her painting, her mother signed her work of art!



So, I've decided that the error isn't so bad. It's near the middle of the scarf, so it can be either viewed as a design element to mark the center OR I can choose to say it's "my signature" thus making this scarf an "original"!

I've also completed knitting the bag and both I-cord straps of the "Night Garden Felted Evening Bag". Now, all that's left is to knit 3 flowers and 3 leaves before it's ready to felt!

4 Comments:

  • At 3:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    awww... i love that explanation!!

    signatures.

    i think i'll use that too!! :)

    the scarf is gorgeous and the signature a huge part of it... very individual and original.

     
  • At 11:17 AM, Blogger Mia said…

    Beautiful scarf, especially the "handwriting" in the middle :)

     
  • At 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's like we used to say when we made little blips while computer programming... it's not a bug, it's a feature.

     
  • At 1:34 PM, Blogger Jinann said…

    LOL! We called them "undocumented features"....guess I've just carried that over to my knitting!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home