Have Ewe Any Wool?

Monday, December 11, 2006

....And Now, For Some Fibery "Eye Candy"

I acquired some lovely wool this past weekend - some in the form of fiber, some in the form of yarn. The pictures just don't do it justice....you really need to see and touch them to get the full effect.

The "bump" is very soft Romney roving (I'm used to Romney being a bit on the coarse side, but this stuff is wonderful!!!) I got it from Sharon Krasny - it's from her daughter's sheep, "Lollipop" - gotta love the name of the little sheepie!

The yarn and the little sheep ornaments were purchased from Gretchen at Solitude. The natural colored yarn is absolutely yummy! It's very soft (from a lamb) and has a wonderful luster. It's Leicester Longwool lamb's wool yarn from Old Gjerpen farm. I love it! I'm thinking it needs to be made into a shawl....in a Feather and Fan pattern perhaps?????

The colored yarn is naturally dyed and I LOVE the colors. It's very nice Romney from local sheep. The blue was dyed using Logwood. The rich pinkish purple was produced using Brazilwood. Gretchen of "Solitude" did a fabulous job dyeing this wonderful yarn. I believe I'm going to attempt to make leg warmers from this - it's my usual mitten/earmuff/scarf colors - blue and purple or magenta - so I think that's the perfect project.

Finally, here's a shot of the skeins of the blue wool with denim bits that I've been spinning. I thought I'd only completed 4 skeins, but I've finished 5! Wahoo! I'm still surprised about how "nasty" it feels....it's only about 10-15% blue jeans, but the cotton feel really predominates. The second photo shows a close up of the roving, just to give you an idea of what it looks like.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You've been tagged! :)

    Take a look at my blog (www.yarnmistry.co.uk) for the rules.. this isn't spam honest..

    Love the work you've been doing so far as well.

    Kai.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home