Have Ewe Any Wool?

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Lansing Yarn Shops Update

FINALLY! I've got a few special things to show off that I bought in Lansing.....and some details about the shops. I won't bore you with all the individual items I picked up (multiple patterns, notions, standard sock yarns, etc.).

OK....Rae's Yarn Boutique was FABULOUS! The owner is VERY nice, helpful and easy to talk to. As it turns out, my hostess (Nicol) from SP8 knows her via one of the recent swaps....small world, eh? Rae designed the Nov. Six Socks Knit-A-Long sock, "Iris Garden"....and I got to oggle them in person! I have to check with my friend Elizabeth to see it she's knitted them yet or not.....






Her store is fabulous and just crammed with all kinds of fibery goodness. She has yarn AND roving. She also has some of her own hand-dyed roving. Of course, I HAD to buy some! It's 4 oz. of Superwash Merino She's used it to make some wonderful socks and said they're easy care - toss in the washer, toss in the dryer....no problem. I can't wait to spin it up and try to make my own sock yarn. (I've never spun for a specific "fitted" project that's dependent on gauge consistency.....this should be a real challenge for me!)

As you can see, she also had some "Socks that Rock" yarn.....and you know how I love all those colors! I even picked up a skein for a special friend of mine who LOVES green....I hope she likes it! (It's a surprise!)

Rae also carries a huge variety of books, notions, and MANY types of yarn. I really had a wonderful time in the shop. It's a very "warm" store and DEFINITELY worth a visit if you're in town.

Next stop was Threadbear. What a huge and fabulous store! I don't think I've even been in a yarn shop that's this big! My daughter was a bit peeved with me as I spent nearly 3 hrs. there......fondling yarn and talking about knitting....but it really took that long to look everything over and select my purchases!

Rob and Matt were so much fun to talk with....as was the staff. Everyone was very helpful, encouraging, and knowledgeable. And talk about selection of yarn/patterns/notions and MORE yarn/patterns/notions! Just when you think you're done, you round the corner and find another treasure trove of goodies.

Talk about a small world.....Rob and Matt know my "knitty" friends Nicol and Kris....both of whom I've only met through the wonderful world of "knitting and the internet"! What a fabulous world we all live in!

Back to the shop description.....When overcome by all the shopping, there were PLENTY of couches and chairs dispursed throughout - providing plenty of places to catch your breath, fondle your potential purchases, or socialize with one of the two resident doggies. I had a fabulous time and bought a few unique items.

Below are a couple of pictures of my Threadbear purchases. The Alpaca is going to become a scarf for a dear friend.....it's sooooo cuddly! The Maroon "Silk Road" by Jo Sharp is a wool/silk/cashmere blend that will become mittens to accompany a scarf I made of similar yarn a couple of years ago. Funny how I'm always drawn to the same colors! I also purchased the pattern and the yarns to make "acorn" handbags (you can see a picture of the pattern for them below). I think the acorn bags are absolutely adorable! The second picture shows the fabulous "doggie-proof" basket I purchased for "stashing yarn".....it should help keep the dog fur off WIPs! I LOVE baskets...especially those that have a "knitty" purpose!

2 Comments:

  • At 7:01 PM, Blogger Nic said…

    That bag you are going to knit looks cute.

    The idea of spinning sock yarn.. ug that just gives me a headache thinking about it. I am not even near the point of being near the point of thinking that it might be in the realm of possibilities one day in the far future.

     
  • At 7:20 PM, Blogger Jinann said…

    I'm thinking that when I don't really want to spin thin, I've been doing it anyway - like for the yarn I spun to make mom's neckscarf.....ideally, I wanted more of a DK weight, but ended up with sock weight....LOL. (You KNOW what's going to happen when I "attempt" to spin sock weight, right????)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home