Have Ewe Any Wool?

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Socktoberfest Update

I'm tired....and finally home. Whew! NY Sheep and Wool Festival in Rhinebeck, hanging out in the Catskills (spinning for hours in front of a cozy fire), and visiting yarns shops.....what a fabulous time I had! I'll post about my trip tomorrow (I hope)......I've even got a few pictures!

But today, since it's still "Socktoberfest", I thought I'd better update my "sock progress".













I've started my next pair of socks using some wonderful hand-paints by "Claudia" in various shades of mauve. I'm using the Fiber Trends "Hellen's Favorite Socks" pattern (a nice basic sock pattern - I'm just doing the basic ribbed cuff).

The brownish "Bed Socks" (that I've almost finished) are out of Plymouth Indiecita Alpaca yarn....they're soooooo soft and cuddly! I know, I know...they look like "kids" socks. They stretch out a bit and fit my feet perfectly.....although they're not for me, but for another person with the same sized feet. They knit up quickly and use relatively large needles for socks - size 5 double points!

I'm also working on the "Ladder Shawl" out of black Madil "Kid Seta" (70% kid mohair, 30% silk) and Crystal Palace "Little Flowers" (in purple, lavender, and black). The knitting is almost done. You can't really see the detail in this picture, but there is a slight pattern. Once the knitting is done, you drop every 5th row to form the "ladder". When I get to that point, the detail should be more visible since the dropped stitches will help separate the stitch patterns.

This is the white Blue Faced Leicester that I finished spinning earlier this month. This is from my purchase this past May at "The Fold".

The wool that I just started spinning is a blue "generic wool" with flecks of recycled blue jeans blended into the wool. It reminds me of "dryer lint". It's quite pretty and rather "textured", but even though it's mostly wool (at least 80%), the predominant "feel" is the cotton from the jeans. It's more of a "designer" yarn because of the nubs caused by the flecks of denim. I'm quite pleased with the over all effect.

Finally, this is the first completed skein of the brown Blue Faced Leicester that I purchased from Linda at Misty Mountain Farm. I finished this skein about a week before heading off on my trip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home