Have Ewe Any Wool?

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Spinning...and Spinning.....and Spinning Some More

I've really been spinning lately......8 3/4 hrs. last week, and 7 hrs. already this week! I still need to take pictures of the skeins of white BFL that I'd completed earlier....as well as all the other stuff I've been spinning. I've started on the brown BFL as well....no skeins of that yet.

I did finally start spinning the blue wool with flecks of blue jeans in it. It makes a lumpy single (the blue jeans chunks create thick "bumps"). I've got one skein completed (it's a heavy worsted to Aran weight as a two-ply). I have two more large bobbins full, so I should have two more skeins by the end of the day tomorrow.

The unspun wool really reminds me of "dryer lint".....it's not a very pleasing wool to spin. It leaves your hands rather dry and the cotton from the jeans seems to be the predominant "feel" in the final yarn. The yarn by itself is rather "lack luster", but it really pops when put against bright blue jeans. It's OK against black, but it really needs a bright blue as a contrast.

I've done some knitting this week, even though my focus was on the spinning. I continued to work on the second "Pretty Petals" - I'm now finished with the heel shaping and am half-way finished with the gusset. I'm still working on the first Alpaca bedsock, and I've started a purple scarf from some novelty yarn I'd received from my secret pal.

4 Comments:

  • At 5:16 AM, Blogger Jinann said…

    On the contrary.....spinning is sooooo relaxing! Sometimes, once you get into the rhythm, it can "lull" you to sleep......I have caught myself dozing off - LOL. It's VERY relaxing!

     
  • At 10:30 AM, Blogger Nic said…

    I wish I could make that kind of progress. It's slow goign for me, the resuls are horrible and I feel like I am not improving at al. I dream to be all Rumplestillskiny like you.

     
  • At 11:59 AM, Blogger Jinann said…

    LOL....I "stomp my foot through the floor" more times than you can imagine!!!! Every time I start with a new wool, I spend a skein or two "re-learning" because each type spins/behaves differently. I'm not overly consistent, but I am getting better. Just keep at it....it will come.

     
  • At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    lyonheart, if you could see her spin, your assumption would change. Gives "zen" a whole new meaning.

    Oohhhhhhmmmmm....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home