Have Ewe Any Wool?

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

A Spinning Fool!

This past week I've done TONS of spinning and not too much knitting.

Towards the 5 hrs. per week I committed to do for the Summer Spinning Challenge, I completed 8 hours of spinning....and that's in addition to the 2 1/2 hrs. of spinning I did on Monday with my regular spinning group!) The 8 hours were divided between my drop spindle and two of my wheels (Lennie 2 and Louie). I spent about 1 1/2 hrs working with the drop spindle and 6 1/2 hours with my wheels.

As I said before, I seem to be a slow spinner.....but it's a relaxing and enjoyable slow and an excellent way to "de-stress". I did manage to complete spinning singles of the blue merino for my mom. I'd almost finished spinning the singles on Monday, so I decided to finish it off on Tuesday. Wahoo! Now all I have to do is ply it and then select a scarf pattern! I started spinning some white BFL that I purchased from Toni at The Fold in Marengo. It's WONDERFUL to work with....and so soft.

I also taught a group of 20 young campers how to spin with a drop spindle. They were all about 9 - 10 years old. It was quite a challenge. It was a bit overwhelming since there were 20 of them and only one of me, but the counselors were quite helpful. The goal was to get each one of the campers to complete some yarn. It would have been better if we had more people so they could get more "one-on-one" assistance, but I think it went over well in spite of it. Plus, kids at that age have very short attention spans, so the important thing was that they tried it and learned something.

Since I've been spinning so much, my knitting time has suffered. I've done nothing further on my Maple Leaf socks. Now, after seeing several peoples completed socks, I'm re-thinking the length of the top....I REALLY like the socks that have 8 repeats of the Maple Leaves....hmmmm.....decisions, decisions!

And.....I've only managed to complete 40 more rows of my Bertie scarf. I really want to complete it as soon as possible. My mom has been diagnosed with breast cancer and is having surgery tomorrow....this scarf has become my personal symbol of my mom's bravery. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    **Hugs** Jinann, and best wishes for your mom's swift recovery!

    ~SP

     
  • At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So glad to hear that the surgery went well. See you tomorrow!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home