Have Ewe Any Wool?

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

One Sock Done....Two NEW Sock Projects Ready to Go!!!













Well, I finally finished my FIRST Maple Leaf Sock (the "knit-along" started 7/1....so I'm a bit behind). I've made a command decision that I'm going to suffer "second sock syndrome" now....voluntarily. I'll get back to it eventually. I really like how the first one turned out. I did decide to change the toe decreases just a bit and used a 3 needle bind off instead of doing the Kitchener stitch as recommended in the pattern.

I am so anxious to start the Pretty Petals "knit along - it started on 8/1, so I'm a bit behind there too. I just LOVE the Tess yarn I got from my SP8 secret pal....and can't wait to start these socks. I think the yarn is perfect for the pattern. It's gorgeous tones of blue and purple in Super Socks & Baby - an 80/20 wool/nylon blend....and it feels DIVINE!!!! (And it's SUPERWASH!!!! Wahoo!!!!)

On the left are the two skeins of Blue Faced Leicester (BFL) that I've spun and plied in the last couple of weeks. It really spins up fast. I've made a 3 3/4 oz. skein and a 4 oz. skein. A friend of mine from work gave me the gorgeous Fearless Fiber sock yarn (pictured on the right). It's 100% Merino in the "Midnight Rendezvous" color way. In exchange, she'll be getting a 4 oz. skein of my hand-spun BFL. I just have to set the twist...and try to preserve the fabulous lanolin smell that she really likes! I plan to make some basic socks out of this yarn....a 3-1 rib or a mock cable rib ("Hellen's Favorite Socks" pattern by Fiber Trends). That way, I'll have a "quick" sock to make so I don't have to ALWAYS be working on the lace socks. (I know, I know....that will make 4 pairs of socks in various states of completion!)

This past week, I did manage to complete 5 3/4 hours of spinning (this includes the time to ply and skein the 3 3/4 oz. skein of BFL.) I'm really keeping up with the Summer Spinning Challenge, but I've noticed that it's started to cut into the knitting time (that's why I have so many WIPs!!!!!)

9 Comments:

  • At 6:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Pretty, pretty BFL! Pretty, pretty sock. Pretty, pretty Jinann!

     
  • At 5:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The handspun looks wonderful! You're such a fine spinner! **Voluntary** second sock syndrome?? That's gotta be a first! Are you going to do Sock Wars? I would join, but I'm a sock chicken :( so I'm staying neutral.

    ~SP

     
  • At 3:03 PM, Blogger Jinann said…

    Thanks for all your comments about the BFL. It really spins up well! It's not quite as lofty as Merino, but it's just as soft.

    Sock wars? What are "Sock Wars"? (Do I REALLY want to know?????) SP - why are you a "sock chicken"? They're not bad at all! I'm even attempting to learn new skills....like magic loop, short rowed heels rather than gussets, etc.

    LOL! "Voluntary" Second Sock Syndrome is my way of saying it's a "Concscious" decision NOT to make the second sock at the moment....but I WILL get to it!!!! I promise!!!

     
  • At 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sock Wars puts a wicked twist on a sock exchange, "a bloody, international death-by-sock tournament." Check out the details at http://yarn-monkey.blogspot.com/2006/07/are-you-ready-for-sock-wars-2006.html. It looks sooooo cool, but being a sock chicken, veteran of only one measly tube sock (*one* sock, not a *pair*), I think I'd better step aside and let pros like you battle it out!

    ~SP

     
  • At 6:29 PM, Blogger Jinann said…

    SP - Oh my! It ("Sock Wars") looks like fun...but I sometimes am a bit slow with my socks (remember the lace one I started before summer.....it's still not done....thus, I avoid single sock syndrome by not finishing the first sock! LOL!!!!

    Hmmmm....gotta find a way to get you to finish your other sock.....you can't have just one!

     
  • At 7:23 PM, Blogger Nic said…

    Sock Wars I would be so dead so fast. I would just be surrendering my turned heal and begging for mercy.

     
  • At 8:07 PM, Blogger Jinann said…

    Polly - at least you'd HAVE a heel to surrender.....I would be so slow that I'd be unarmed....or should that be "un-heeled"!!!!

     
  • At 5:27 PM, Blogger Lizardknits said…

    Everything's gorgeous! Are you going to bring all this to show n tell and Sunday?

    Elizabeth

     
  • At 5:41 PM, Blogger Jinann said…

    Probably....the BFL won't be up to "fondling" as I'll have washed it/set the twist for the "exchange". I will have my partial socks out of both the Tess's yarn and the Fearless Fiber yarn....as well as my "one and only" (LOL) Maple Leaf Sock.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home