Have Ewe Any Wool?

Monday, November 06, 2006

And Now For Some "Show and Tell"

Spinning is soooooo addictive, and even though I bought a ton of roving, etc. at Maryland Sheep and Wool, I just couldn't resist the gorgeous stuff I found in Rhinebeck. First, the obligatory pictures of the NY Sheep and Wool program and some souvenirs.....













The drive up had so many gorgeous views of hillsides full of trees with their leaves in various shades of "fall": yellow, red, orange, and a variety of greens. Although it was just past peak, the views were stunning! This roving from Misty Mountain Farm was a "MUST HAVE" - the multicolored one reminds me of the drive to Rhinebeck. I'm envisioning the creation of a felted bag where I'll needle felt the various colors either as trees or mountains.....a somewhat permanent reminder of the view. The orange and green roving reminded me of pumpkins and fall....and I'm thinking I'll spin it and make the felted pumpkins from the Knitty pattern.

Of course I had to purchase more "Socks That Rock" - boy was that booth mobbed! You really had to decide on colors quickly as they literally "disappeared" right before your eyes! Learning my lessons from Maryland Sheep and Wool, this was my FIRST stop! I also found some wonderful "Gypsy Girl" sock yarn as well. The second picture that only shows the "Gypsy Girl" was purchased as a surprise for a friend.....I can't wait to give it to her! I think she'll be quite surprised!









Of course, I couldn't resist the 70% merino/30% silk roving - I stared at it for quite a while while waiting in line to pay.....and finally succumbed!






"Ellen's Half-Pint Farm" - Oh, did I go crazy here! Colored roving - mostly purples, but I did manage to get one bag with blues and teals. The natural colors were some very interesting blends: Merino/Alpaca, Flax/Merino blend (I need to check on this one), Flax/Hemp blend, Llama, and an 80% wool, 20% possum blend (I got enough of that to make a sweater....or at least a vest!)






Oh.....I got to meet "Stitchy McYarnpants" who autographed a copy of her book for me.










And finally, tons more roving! The first picture is the cormo/mohair blends I purchased from "Buckwheat Bridge Angoras/Hudson Valley Worsted Spinning Mill. They say it's produced ENTIRELY with Solar Power....pretty nifty, huh?



The bright pink Shetland came from "Wild Apple Hill Farm" in Hudson, NY. They had fabulous colors to choose from.






This is natural Coriedale....it feels really nice. (I need to look up the vendor on this one.)







This is dyed Jaeger Spun super wash.....I thought it would be fun to "play with". I used it to test out the fabulous spindle I found. The price was fabulous and it spins like a dream. The spindle is made from sycamore. (Ooooops - I need to look up both the roving vendor and the spindle vendor!)


Finally, I loved the color of this roving.....the deep rich tones are gorgeous! It's Dorset/Romney/Leicester from Amondale Farm.

5 Comments:

  • At 10:03 PM, Blogger Nic said…

    I love all the roving, but my favorite is the bottom pic. I need to find that vendor order some for myself.

     
  • At 4:24 AM, Blogger Jinann said…

    I'll look up the info on them and send it to you....I believe I have their address and/or phone number.

     
  • At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I detect a theme here - gorgeous reds and pinks!

    Glad you had fun - miss you bunches!

     
  • At 6:31 PM, Blogger Jinann said…

    Definitely! Winter is coming and I need some bright colors.....note that many have purple or purple hues (surprise, surprise!).

     
  • At 9:05 PM, Blogger Mia said…

    Solar powered yarn?? I love all the pretty pretty roving!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home