Have Ewe Any Wool?

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Furnace Mountain Alpaca Farm

.
What a fabulous day! Believe it or not, after all the heat and humidity that June has delivered, we got a bit of relief from it...just in time to visit Furnace Mountain Alpaca Farm! The "Purls of Distinction Knitting Guild" toured Sharon's alpaca farm on Saturday.

Wow...what a spectacular location! The view is absolutely gorgeous - everywhere I look, there are rolling hills, mountains, or fiber animals. It doesn't get any better than this!









































We started out tour in our Sharon's dining room. She had stuffed it full of her various yarns, patterns, and samples. None of her alpaca is dyed - it's all the natural colors....and they were stunning!!!




The alpaca that's not really up to the quality/length for creating clothing can be used to make spectacular rugs. Check out these two beauties that adorn Sharon's kitchen area! Gorgeous!

















She had a very interesting picture - one of the painting done by an elephant! How cool is that?







Off to the barn to check out the animals. They were sooo cute!












































We even got to try our hand leading one of them around the barnyard. What fun!





Our next stop was the Market Table Bistro Restaurant in Lovettsville. The restaurant was very cute and the food was absolutely fabulous! I was in heaven! I had a delicious gazpacho soup as an appetizer. This was followed by a green salad topped with slice smoked duck. (They import the duck from Maplewood in upstate NY and then smoke it themselves. The duck was organic and absolutely delicious!!!!) I finished my meal with the most delicious and decadent dessert I've ever had....Dark Chocolate Creme Brulee. Oh, my! It was absolutely divine!!!!

We were entertained while dining by the baker prepping the various breads, rolls, and focaccia - all hand crafted and baked in house.











I even managed to get a video of the bread preparation in action.




I would rate the food and service with an A+!!!!! I definitely plan to be a return customer!

Once I got back home, my ventures in nature and art continued! I started a ground hog when I came out the basement door. Luckily, I managed to snap a photo...just before he disappeared beneath my bushes. (Double click on the photo for a closer view...sorry about the blur.) Wow! Did he move fast!!!


When I got to the other side of the neighborhood, I spotted a lovely doe munching away on the trees next to the playground. She was totally unperturbed by my presence...and simply viewed my dog as "a funny looking deer".




As I couldn't help but take a photo of my friend's rather unusual flowers. I call these the "Candy Corn Flowers" because they remind me of candy corn. I can't remember their official name. It's something like "Rods of Fire" or something like that. I guess the official name didn't stick because I already had my own name for them, eh?


As I passed Elvira's house, I spotted her painting on her deck. It was such a lovely day that she'd brought her easel out so she could enjoy her passion while basking in the fabulously temperate June afternoon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home