Have Ewe Any Wool?

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Ravelympics Progress

.
I've entered 3 events for TEAMMA in the 2010 Ravelympics. I think I'm on track for "crossing the finish line" in time for the closing ceremonies of the 2010 Olympics - which marks the end of the Ravelympics.

My first event is the "Flying Camel Spin" - for this event, I committed to plying the 4 ounces of silk that I had spun into very thin singles prior to the Olympics. I've FINALLY finished plying! Wahoo! It took several evenings to do it...and I was beginning to think I'd NEVER finish! Now all I have left for this event is to determine the WPI and the total yardage. I was amazed at how long this took to ply - 4 ounces of silk produces an amazing amount of plied yarn!

My second event is the "Labyrinth Weaving". I'm trying a new form of weaving - at least, it's new to me. I'm finding that I need a "third hand" for this...even though I have a chair stabilizing the "loom" for me. I had to add a pencil in order to stabilize it more and keep the "weft" neat and orderly. I'm finding this "simple" form of weaving to be quite the challenge - definitely an Olympic event for me! This is the event that I'll probably finish just before the deadline!

The final event I'm participating in is the "Bag Jump". I'm a bit "crochet challenged" and need to hone my skills - I thought this would be the perfect event to stretch my skills. I'm making "Inga's Haekelbeutel" - it's a cute bag made of 16 granny squares that are rotated 45 degrees, so it's not the usual "square" project. It took me nearly 4 hours to complete the first square to my satisfaction. Thankfully, my skill and speed have GREATLY improved!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home