Have Ewe Any Wool?

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

A “Kindness of Knitters”

IMG_0385

IMG_4781 This year’s retreat started out a bit dicey…the weather predictions for snow and ice were ominous!   I left for PA early in the day so I could hopefully arrive at my destination well before it started.   I’m so glad I did!   It started snowing right after I arrived.   By 5 pm, several roads were so treacherous that some folks decided to wait until the next day to arrive.  I was safe and snug…and enjoying the warmth of the fireplace.

IMG_0387 My bunk looked pretty much like it did last year….small and homey.    The only problem was that it was a bit too long for my bed sheets!   I had an extra long mattress.   Oh, well….it all worked out in the end….I only attached the one corner, so all was good.  Of course, my “bedspread” is the afghan made by DH’s grandma…..it’s my tribute to her memory every time I go. (When Mema was alive, I always brought an afghan from her to adorn my bed…it became a bit of a tradition for me…and I know she was thrilled that her afghans meant so much to me and was touched that I’d bring them on the retreat.)

IMG_0395

 

The highlight of the weekend was the fabulous cakes that Tina ordered.   We had a bit of chocolate mousse cake on Friday night.  It was very chocolatey and delicious!

 

However, as delicious as it was, the chocolate mousse cake absolutely paled in comparison to the knitting basket cake.   It tasted just as good as it looks!   Mmmmmm!!!!

IMG_0394 

IMG_4874 During the retreat, I did quite a bit of chatting….as well as some spinning.   I spun a skein of purple roving….luscious!   It’s a total of 4 ounces, so I can make about anything I want from it….except a sweater or vest….not quite enough for that…LOL!

 

I also continued to spin the gorgeous two toned BFL that I’d purchased from the Fiberists last year.   I love the gorgeous greens and blues.  It reminds me of the ocean and summer.   (A good thing to be reminded of when it’s sooooo incredibly cold!   Thoughts of the ocean actually made me feel warmer!!!)  Unfortunately, I didn’t think to take a picture of that!

IMG_0397 IMG_0398 However, I did manage to get a couple of photos of me wearing the footie pajamas that my sister got me for Christmas.   Betty Boop PJ’s – of course!   I was very warm and cozy Saturday morning…

 

IMG_4793

IMG_4868

Tina warped her loom…and finished a scarf during the retreat.  The scarf is gorgeous.  She used the gorgeous “color changing” cotton yarn from Elisabeth at “Wolles”.

 

 

IMG_4877 

IMG_4836

 

Rhonda showed a nice variety of her rug hooking projects.  They were fabulous!   She does absolutely lovely work!!!  (She made me promise to bring my rug hooking next year!)

 

 

 

 

IMG_4830

IMG_4832

 

 

 

 

 

Check out this album of her creations…

IMG_4828

 

My friend Deb demo’d needle felting…using cookie cutters, wool, and felting needles.  It was more of a quicky class than a demo as she provided guidance  and pointers on how to successfully needle felt.

 

 

 

As always, the room was just a sea of knitters, spinners, hookers, crocheters, weavers…and the list goes on.  If it involved  fiber, it was there!

IMG_4820  IMG_4817

What a fabulous weekend!!!  Our group definitely was a “Kindness of Knitters”.  That’s  also the ending “mantra” for the attendees of the annual spinners and knitters retreat near Lancaster, PA.   The knitting community has identified a group of knitters as a “Kindness of Knitters”….much like a “Pride of Lions”….or a “Flock of  Birds”.   We all left the retreat agreeing to call a group of knitters, “A Kindness of Knitters” – I love it!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home