Have Ewe Any Wool?

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Strange Mushrooms....and Frustrating Yarn!

.
Wow! With all the rain we've been having, the mushroom crops in everyone's yards are simply astounding! They seem to literally crop up overnight. This group of mushrooms looked like a line of golf balls on tees as I left this morning. I wish I'd stopped to photograph them then....they opened a bit more during the day, so they're not quite as intriguing now. Oh, well. I think they're pretty amazing - the one on the far right still looks like a golf ball.










Now for my rant. I had been making a pair of fingerless mitts, "Fingerless Summer Mitts" from Knitting Magazine and decided I really liked the colors in the Kroy Sock yarn - subtle tones of purplish-pinks and greys. It was lovely! I purchased two skeins....just in case. The first mitt was completed with no problem.

Once I finished the first mitt, I tried to find the proper color sequence and starting point for the second mitt. (I'm one of those people that really likes to have matching mittens and socks.) I wasn't seeing a matching color sequence as I pulled and pulled yarn from the skein. I was determined to find the proper starting point, so I decided to wind off the entire remaining skein onto an empty wrapping paper tube. To my surprise, there were NO repeats of the color sequence! Some came close, but there was no perfect match! Unbelievable!










I tried to match it up the best I could, and now I'm off knitting the second mitt...keeping my fingers crossed that it will look OK and be a somewhat close match! If all else fails, I still have the second skein of the same dye lot....perhaps I can find a matching sequence there?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home