Have Ewe Any Wool?

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Bluemont Festival

.
I love this festival - it's very low-key and much like a country fair. There's the Methodist church that serves hot dogs, hamburgers, and awesome apple dumplings, the kettle corn vendor, the fiber animals, antiques, and numerous crafters. There is even a wine tasting and a display of antique tractors!





















Believe it or not...they were serving "Deep Fried Oreos". I LOVE Oreos, but I just can't imagine what they'd be like fried. A young fair goer told me they crumble up the oreos and then surround it with something and deep fry it. I didn't try them. Hmmm.....maybe someday.


One of the alpacas from the booths next to us wandered about for a while - greeting both kids and adults. They're such friendly animals...and they have such incredible "wool"! (Yes....I bought some white as well as some lavender Alpaca yarn...surprise, surprise!)



One of the guilds I belong to, Blue Ridge Spinners and Weavers (BRSWG), is one of the featured crafters. I spent the entire day there on Sunday demo-ing spinning and just enjoying the outdoors and all the crafts. Of course I bought some goodies - how could I resist???

Debbie had some fabulous hand spun yarn - in my colors too! It's gorgeous - I just love it! I have no idea what I'll make, but whatever it is, it will ber fabulous. I also purchased some lovely towels woven by Mary Beth - beautiful, yet functional.












My favorite acquisition was a lovely tencel scarf woven by Beth - one of the incredible weavers in BRSWG. It's just GORGEOUS!!!!! Again...in my colors!!!! The warp is hand painted....and the pattern is the same as those in the scarves from Saturday's post using the same pattern from the Baltimore Guild. The scarf looks so different in the bright jewel tones. It drapes beautifully! Debbie taught me how to tie it in a Celtic knot so I can wear it around my neck as an accent once the weather cools off!


I just happened to take a photo of both Beth (the scarf weaver - seated at the loom) and Debbie (the yarn spinner) so you can match the artist's faces with their work!




While snapping photos, I managed to catch Dina and Sharon writing up the sale for the scarf, towels, and yarn that I bought - my purchases even made the photo! Dina(left) and Sharon(right) both had some awesome items for sale. Dina is the leader of our spinner's group in addition to spinning, is an accomplished felter. Check out the cute pumpkins and bowls - below left. Sharon had some gorgeous braided rugs for sale - my personal favorite is the "sunrise" rug shown here - below right. Isn't it beautiful??? Everyone in this group is extremely talented. I feel so honored to be a part of their group!










Although I made a few purchases, I did leave a lot of goodies for others to buy....











The shopping and demos were a lot of fun. It was the perfect day to enjoy the outdoors while spinning or weaving...and sharing the love of the craft with every that stopped by. What a fabulous day!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home