Have Ewe Any Wool?

Friday, October 08, 2010

Harvest Time

.
Wow! When I arrived in Illinois, most of the crops were still drying in the field and all the leaves on the trees were green. I couldn't see far across the fields as the corn was still 5 to 8 feet high. In just under 2 weeks, nearly all the crops have been harvested - and it seems like you can see forever! The weather has been very dry making it an easy harvest time. The combines have been running non-stop in the corn fields and many of the fields have now been disked. (Many local farmers in towns like Earlville, Leland, and Baker raise corn and peas for Delmonte...which has a large canning plant in Mendota. Most of the crops harvested at this time of year are feed corn and seed corn.)

I love the serenity of the farms and the look of the old barns. There's just something comforting and homey about them. I do get a bit tired of the total flatness though...and the general lack of trees. (I love my wooded hills and mountains!) Of course, I love seeing the horses too!










0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home