Have Ewe Any Wool?

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Scottish Games.....and a Bit of Knitting Progress

Sunday was unbearably hot, but we went to the Scottish games anyway. We lasted less than 3 hours and did not get to see the Caber Tossing competitions. However, we did manage to hear my favorite Celtic band, Rathkeltair. I love their music! We caught the 11 am show....while the temperature was still in the 80's. It quickly heated up well into the 90's with very high humidity.


This year, instead of a separate stage, they used the porch of the house at Sky Meadows State Park. It was a bit harder to see them, but the lack of stage nearly doubled the seating capacity.





Neil (the piper) is absolutely amazing! He plays so many instruments - including both the Scottish and Irish versions of the pipes.





Sky Meadows State Park is the perfect venue for this festival as you're surrounded by mountains and gentle rolling hills...the "Highlands"?











This year, just as last year, they had numerous bag pipe bands and a large display of British cars - from Morgans to Austins to Jags.




I was fascinated by the Morgans. I even found that they're "fiber related" - the hood straps are lined with lambs wool! Proof once again that wool isn't "just" for knitting! LOL!






I also discovered that they make camouflage kilts as well! One of our courageous veterans kindly posed for me so I could get a shot of a military style kilt. How cool is that!





It was just too hot to knit while watching Rathkeltair, so the only knitting I got done was in the car to and from the festival. I did finish the back of a sweater jacket and started on the left front. I really like the style. It has crocheted edging on the sleeves and the bottom of the sweater. I'm making it in Ulteppegarn rather than Eco-Ull as I wanted a lighter weight sweater. It's knit on size 9's, so it knits up quickly.

Sunday evening brought a beautiful sunset, so I'll end this post with a shot of that. Notice that even mother nature "cooperated" and put a bit of purple in there for me. (It even reminds me a bit of the Malabrigo yarn in purples and pinks that I received yesterday.....yum)

3 Comments:

  • At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I remember reading about this on your blog last year and thinking how neat it sounded. I'll have to remember for next year, my Mom would really enjoy this. Looks like a lot of fun!

     
  • At 6:26 PM, Blogger cathy said…

    Oh, goodness -- I lost track and missed it. :( It was always so hot when they held it in July; sounds like it still is. But the setting looks beautiful!

     
  • At 10:08 AM, Blogger Nic said…

    I love all things Scottish and that sunset picture is BEAUTIFUL!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home