Have Ewe Any Wool?

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

The Much Awaited Dyeing Results - Goldenrod




I finally managed to dye some roving with the goldenrod dye I made at the end of August. I dyed 40 grams of Rambouillet roving using primarily the Hopi instructions.





I boiled the wool for about 2 hrs. in the pot using a mordant of alum. I "measured" two handfuls...just as the book instructed. This produced a canary yellow color.





Then, I shaved some ivory soap into boiling water and added the roving to that pot for a few minutes. This produced a more golden yellow.






Here, you can see a small piece of roving without the ivory (the brighter yellow) and the result after submerging in Ivory (the deeper golden color). Unfortunately, I didn't think to take a small sample of the roving BEFORE I submerged it in the soapy water - that's why there's such a SMALL piece for comparison.





The final color "resting" in it's clear rinse water.




My next dyeing experiment (when I find the time) will be "Dyeing with Walnuts".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home