Have Ewe Any Wool?

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Knitting Progress

I actually finished a UFO! And it was one that was destined for "permanent time out" as I was quite frustrated with it! Remember the "Sweater Socks" (aka "Half Cable Socks") I was making but found that the socks were VERY different sized? It was probablybecause one was made in Feb/March and the second sock didn't even get started until Nov/Dec. I must have been more relaxed when I started the first sock. ARGH! I was so frustrated! PLUS...I really didn't like the toe decrease that the pattern used.

The socks were cuddly and soft - perfect for my daughter to keep her feet warm while watching TV or studying....if it weren't for the "defects"! I had hoped to surprise her for Christmas, but after finishing both sock, I was too disappointed with the results to send them to her. She was here this weekend, so I had her try them on. She thought they were great and said she definitely was interested in them. It was obvious that the tighter sock fit her foot better, so I'd only have to re-knit the foot of the first sock. Next, we discussed the rather ugly (in my opinion) toe decrease. She agreed...it was too pointy and "odd" looking and we opted to another toe finish.

Bottom line....I frogged the toe of the "tighter" sock last night, re-knit it with the decrease on the sides and grafted the final 8 stitches. She then tried them on - PERFECT!!!! This morning, I got up early and frogged the "looser" sock back to the heel gusset and reworked it to match the one I "refinished" last night. I'm quite pleased with how they turned out...and they're a perfect fit! (It really helps to have the intended recipient nearby to "try them on" - LOL!)









I'm just thankful that they're quick "bedsocks" - cast on 40 stitches and away you go! The thick yarn, large needle size (US 5), and low number of stitches made this "re-work" possible....and saved a UFO from "permanent time out"! Now may daughter gets to take a cozy pair of handknit socks back to chilly Michigan tomorrow morning!

6 Comments:

  • At 9:57 PM, Blogger Kelley said…

    Those socks are great, I may just have to try some for myself in the near future. Glad to see that you were able to save your UFO from the bottom of the barrel. :)

     
  • At 1:38 AM, Blogger polli said…

    That is such a sweet story. I would have blamed the problem on her feet and be done with it. You are a much better person than I.

     
  • At 1:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Those are gorgeous! Glad you were able to work out the issues with them, cos they suit your DD perfectly. :)

     
  • At 7:15 AM, Blogger Mia said…

    Beautiful socks! Don't you just hate it when the gauge changes on you like that?? Kudos for showing those socks what for!

     
  • At 7:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm glad you had a good visit w/ your daughter, and the socks are gorgeous!

     
  • At 7:16 PM, Blogger Jinann said…

    I'm just thrilled that they're not in time out...and my daughter loved them! (And graciously "modeled" them for the photos....)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home