Have Ewe Any Wool?

Monday, December 24, 2007

The Scandinavian Wheel

Here's my newest "baby" - the much awaited Scandinavian stenciled spinning wheel. This one happens to be a Finnish wheel...thus, I'm naming her "Finnie". I finally got it unpacked from its shipping box and put together! It's gorgeous! DH even commented that it was a very attractive wheel. That's high praise coming from a non-spinner that is "forced" to share his home with the numerous "toys" of a fiber addict!
The wheel spins very nicely and it treadles like a dream even though it's a single treadle. It's double drive and I do have to fiddle with the tension to get it right now that I have everything connected - there's a bit of a drag once I connected the drive band. I also have to give her a good "oiling" so she'll spin just as well with the bobbin attached. Looks like I may need to consult my friend "Amos" and see what he recommends for double drive wheels. ("Amos" refers to the book, "The Alden Amos Big Book of Handspinning" - a great reference book!)

Fine tuning my "new" wheel is also an excuse to call up Esther, the woman I purchased it from, to see what she recommends for achieving the optimum tension for spinning. I had spoken with her last month when I finalized the purchase the wheel. She was an absolute delight to chat with, so perhaps I will go the "lazy way" and instead of researching, go directly to the experienced user!

Once I've got tension right, I'll give her a whirl. Perhaps I'll spin up the 50/50 Camel/Tussah Silk Top that my friend Catherine gave me. It's a very lustrous caramel colored roving - I can't wait to see how it spins up! I've never spun a camel/silk blend, so this will be a new adventure for me. Thanks Catherine! You're so sweet!

7 Comments:

  • At 9:24 PM, Blogger Jody said…

    Wow - gorgeous!! Congrats on the new wheel!

     
  • At 6:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ooooooooooh that wheel is gorgeous!

     
  • At 12:22 PM, Blogger Nic said…

    I love your new baby! I could just stare at it for hours. I hope it will be in a place of prominence.

     
  • At 5:20 AM, Blogger Lanea said…

    Congratulations on your new wheel!

     
  • At 9:17 AM, Blogger Lindsey said…

    Ooh, that's a lovely wheel. Really pretty. Congrats! Have fun spinning on it. :-)

     
  • At 9:22 AM, Blogger Kai said…

    I love it!! It's gorgeous! Can't wait to see what you spin up on Finnie.. :)

     
  • At 1:26 PM, Blogger Windyridge said…

    Very pretty wheel. I especially like the black spokes and legs. Nice contrast.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home