Have Ewe Any Wool?

Monday, January 07, 2008

Happy St. Distaff's Day!

It's St. Distaff's Day, the day after the Feast of the Epiphany which marks the end of the 12 Days of Christmas. St. Distaff's Day falls on January 7th. It's the first day "back to work" after all the Christmas festivities and obligations. For women, this generally meant a return to spinning - as that was one of the usual duties. I think it's wonderful that there's a special day in honor of spinners!

The following websites have some fabulous information and background on this special day:

The Book of Days - January 7

and

St. Distaff's Day - marking the end of the Christmas break

I found both of these sites full of very interesting history. It's fascinating!

How are you celebrating St. Distaff's Day?

I started celebrating on Saturday - I spun some gorgeous purple and grey roving I purchased at the Montpelier Fiber Festival in early October. I love the subtle color changes between the light purple and grey....I think the yarn will be fabulous! I believe I have a total of 2 lbs of this, so I should have enough for whatever I decide to make. I'm hoping to spin some more tonight!

4 Comments:

  • At 5:41 AM, Blogger Kai said…

    I love you're spinning! Can I ask, ho do you get the yarn to go all the way across the bobbin like that?

    Also Happy Distaff day to you too!

    I did some spinning yesterday, if you can call it that! *rolls eyes*

     
  • At 9:30 PM, Blogger Nic said…

    Can you imagine the women back then thinking now that spinning now is this quaint hobby we have for fun. We're thinking WOO WOO St Distaff's and you know then they were thinking OH...

     
  • At 6:00 AM, Blogger Jinann said…

    That is rather funny though....who knew we'd "like it" and "think it's fun" - LOL!

     
  • At 12:20 PM, Blogger Mia said…

    That's a lovely purple! It is pretty funny how spinning the chore turned into spinning the hobby. Hooray Industrial Revolution :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home