Have Ewe Any Wool?

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

"Socktoberfest" and National Spinning and Knitting Week

Wow! Two great things to kick off October! First off, it's "Socktoberfest" time once again. Hurrah for socks! In keeping with the Socktoberfest theme, I've FINALLY finished the Wildfoote Purple Splendor socks! I didn't think I'd ever get them done - I thought they were done on Sunday, but they were a tad too short, so I ripped it back and re-knit, finishing the last stitch last night. I know, I know. Another reason to do the "toe up" version.


I've decided on my next socks as well. I'm going to use the 3-ply Corriedale-Lincoln cross yarn that I purchased from Gretchen (of Solitude Farm). The lovely natural colors of the wool will make spectacular socks!


After that, I plan to make my mom another pair of the "Fireside Socks" out of Iceland. I'm not sure if I'll use one of the colors I already have (solids) or try to pick up another colorway of the variegated. Mom LOVED the ones I made her last year and mentioned that she'd like to have another pair so she would always have a pair to where while the others are being laundered. They'll either be for her birthday or for Christmas...depends on how quickly I get them finished!

Finally, I'm planning another pair of bed socks for DD1. She loved the last couple of pairs....they keep her feet nice and toasty in the winter while she lounges on the couch taking a break from her studies - it's a bit chilly in Michigan in the winter time!

This week (October 1st-7th) is also National Spinning and Weaving Week. Since I finished the green wool last week, I decided to spin a totally different type of wool to celebrate - Dorset. It's a red wool with mostly purple and a bit of orange blended in. It has a pleasant "sheepie" smell, and I'm really enjoying spinning it. I don't care too much for the "orange" areas. I purchased this wool at the NY Sheep and Wool Festival last year and am finally getting around to spinning it. It's from Amondale Farms (Eaton, NY or Stow - MA). I have no clue what I'll make with it...they only had 8 oz. of this color.



Oh...and in celebration of the week, I made sure I did my spinning in public. I plan to do even more "spinning in public" this weekend when I go to the Fall Fiber Festival of Virginia at Montpelier. It will be my first time going...and from what I understand, it's MUCH smaller than the Maryland or NY festivals, but it allows more time to interact with the vendors/ask questions, etc. Wahoo! I can't wait - the weather is supposed to be absolutely gorgeous! (I'll need to reign in my urge to purchase, though, as NY Sheep and Wool Festival is only just over 2 weeks away!)

6 Comments:

  • At 4:28 PM, Blogger Mia said…

    Happy Socktoberfest! The socks (and the spinning) look wonderful!

     
  • At 9:51 AM, Blogger GretchenX said…

    Hey - what about the Shropshire that you got? (and I copied you on)

    you amaze me with your spinning - such persistance, and such a lovely payoff!

    :)

     
  • At 11:23 AM, Blogger Jinann said…

    But the Shropshire's not for socks....it's for a hat. Perhaps I'll get to that....in my "spare time" - LOL!

     
  • At 4:55 PM, Blogger FuguesStateKnits said…

    Wow - you are one busy woman! I admire anyone with the patience to spin. It looks a LOT easier than it is! Beautiful colors:)

    I've tagged you - details at http://fuguestateknits.blogspot.com
    Happy knitting,
    Your SP11 pal:)

     
  • At 9:15 AM, Blogger Jinann said…

    I've already been tagged....twice in less than a year - can you believe it? So I'll have to skip this one....sorry!

     
  • At 6:26 PM, Blogger FuguesStateKnits said…

    No problemo! I am so impressed that you spin as well as knit - so cool!
    It's so hard to know what to get you, LOL!
    Just kidding!
    FSK

     

Post a Comment

<< Home