Have Ewe Any Wool?

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Scottish Games, The Bluemont Fair, and More!

This has definitely been a very busy week - and I've hardly found the time to post! This past weekend, I went to both the Scottish Games and the Bluemont Fair. The weather was absolutely fantastic!

On Saturday, I went to the Scottish Games at Sky Meadows State Park. The weather was absolutely perfect, and in the rolling hills, it definitely felt like we were in Scotland! For lunch, I had a Meat Pie and an Eccles cake....and believe it or not, I even tried Haggis! The park was the perfect venue for this event with with lots of interesting things to watch:
Caber Tossing (Click here to see the video)
Hammer Tossing
Men in Kilts
Bagpipe Competitions
Fiddling Competitions
Highland Dancing
Exhibitions of British Cars
Live Entertainment



















































I even worked in a bit of spinning on my spindle as we walked through the vintage car exhibits for a second time! (I'll bet you were wondering how I managed to work knitting or spinning into this adventure!) Hubby was definitely impressed that I could walk and spin at the same time - although it did cause me to walk a bit more slowly!

I discovered a fabulous Celtic Rock band, Rathkeltair, and bought their latest CD, "Everybody". It's fabulous music and very cheery! I've been listening to it at work this week (along with my CDs of Norwegian Hardanger Fiddling).

Sunday, a few of us met for a wonderful lunch at Panera - Catherine, Lisa, Elizabeth, and me so we could exchange information about the latest books and needle purchases that we've made. I'm DEFINITELY lusting after the wooden "Options" needles from Knit Picks - they're gorgeous and have fabulous points! We then decided to take an impromptu trip out to the Bluemont Fair - specifically to see the fiber animals and several of my friends from the Blue Ridge Spinners and Weavers Guild as well as Gretchen from Solitude Farm.

Sunday too was a wonderful day - perfect weather for a festival! I went a bit crazy taking pictures of several fiber animals - Alpacas, Llamas, Pygoras, and Sheep. (Remember, I'm in a knitting funk right now, so I'm concentrating on other things...like fiber animals, spinning, and the finished objects of my friends!) I ran into Anita at the festival too...she's finished her "Mystery Stole 3" and really likes it! I can't wait to see it! Hopefully she'll bring it to our guild meeting next week!


























































Remember the adorable "February Sweater" that Jayme finished last week? Well, she's finished a matching hat and little baby socks as well! They're so cute! I just love how the Socks that Rock "Little Bunny Foo Foo" colorway worked up!



I have been concentrating on my spinning - as of Tuesday evenings spinning group, I've managed to nearly fill a second bobbin and am ready to ply tonight! Wahoo! AND....I only have 9.8 oz. of the green multi-colored wool left to spin! (Geez...2 lbs. takes FOREVER to spin!). I've already decided that I want to make a sweater jacket from this wool...and I believe I've finally picked a pattern as well - the "Samus" from Knitty. I just LOVE the edging! (Ferol...see, I've finally come around to cabling!!!)

2 Comments:

  • At 10:14 AM, Blogger Mia said…

    How was the haggis? Better than ludefisk?

     
  • At 1:19 PM, Blogger Jinann said…

    Definitely better than Lutefisk! I didn't have to "slather" it with sauce to "choke it down"! LOL!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home