Have Ewe Any Wool?

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Knitting and My New "Baby"!

First, I'll address the knitting. On Tuesday, it was pretty rainy and damp, so I didn't feel like dragging my spinning wheel out in the "elements". So, instead of spinning, I decided to knit. It seems that most of us felt that way! Not a single one of us had our spinning wheels in tow!

As a result, I've made some blazing progress on my "Lilith" in Louet Kid-Lin Pixie - a double stranded yarn - one strand is kid mohair and the other strand is linen.I'm pretty close to finishing the first skein - and it only uses three for the shrug/stole/vest. Don't you just love patterns that can be used multiple ways?) I do knit relatively loose, but I decided not to go down a needle size....I like the very "open" results that I'm currently getting. If I make another, I may go down a needle size or two - I think that will make a more elegant "Lilith" while this one can be more "casual"...

Wednesday, at our knitting guild meeting, I fell in love with a sweater that Yvonne made for her daughter. When we arrived, she was completing the final finishing. It's absolutely stunning! Yvonne knits absolutely beautifully! Here I've shown the front view as well as the sleeve detail. Her finishing is so professional....she's absolutely awesome! Her daughter is definitely one lucky girl! (Dale of Norway pattern book # 121)


Now, for my "New Baby". I've been absolutely lusting after an electronic sewing machine for I don't know how long. I've had the very basic maching - circa 1940's that was my grandmothers....it only did straight stitch and could only run "forward". I graduated to a basic Kenmore machine.....a few straight stitches and limited zig-zag - NOT a free arm machine....that made it challenging. I later gave that one to my sister and purchased a better "basic" machine - more varieties of zig-zag and even a method for blind stitches and an official zipper foot....and best of all, "free arm"!

I found a great buy on a used PFAFF Tiptronic 2020 in pristine condition from a vendor I trust on e-Bay - so, now, I have my "dream machine"! I do plan to do a bit of sewing, but I'm not planning to spend ALL my time doing that (got to get in some spinning and knitting time too!)so this machine with something like 47 stitches is PERFECT!!!! I'm so excited about it.

Why sewing? What pushed me over the edge? Javajem and all fabulous creations she's made....especially the "bend-the-rules Sewing" (some great bags) and the fabulous coasters she created from "Denyse Schmidt Quilts" - they're fabulous! (I am ordering the book too!) I've really been inspired by her creations....and, you have to have the proper tools, right?

4 Comments:

  • At 2:51 AM, Blogger Kai said…

    That shawl is looking lovely!

    As for the sewing machine, I have to invest in one pretty soon. Need to start teaching myself! :)

     
  • At 8:44 PM, Blogger Nic said…

    I've been shopping for a new machine too. But I figure my skills need to improve. But wow, everyone in the world as stronger skills than I.

     
  • At 9:35 PM, Blogger Jinann said…

    Well, I'm hoping the machine will "create" more skills for me....I'm a basic seamstress....and I envy Jody's skills.....and the skills of several of my friends!

     
  • At 10:50 AM, Blogger Jody said…

    Yeah!!! I'm so glad I helped you along with your new purchase!! I have no skills that weren't self taught! Just practise!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home