Have Ewe Any Wool?

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Traditional Norwegian Handicrafts....Knitting, Spinning, Weaving, and More!

Friday night. the Sons of Norway meeting was fabulous! The first meeting of the year is dedicated to traditional Norwegian Handicrafts. As a result, several folks were asked to showcase their traditional craft or crafts....and I got to be one of the participants! There were wonderful examples of knitting, weaving, spinning, hardanger, baking, tole painting, paper crafts, and several other crafts. Of course, we started with the fabulous pot-luck complete with traditional dishes and desserts as well as American dishes. We even had a Norwegian exchange student who was there with her host mom! Her dress is a reconstructed 1700's style Norwegian Bunad - it's definitely a "one of a kind" and very traditional.

Ellen and her fabulous cake - the special pans for making the Kranskake are shown as well - I definitely need to get a set! Not only does the cake look fabulous, but it tastes great too! One of the main ingredients is ground almonds - mmmmm!!! (Almonds are a common ingredient in many traditional pastries.)

Scrapbooks and photo albums for keeping memories.

Melanie demo'd weaving and I demo'd spinning - we both had a blast!










I just love the Rosemaling and I'm in awe of the variety of Norwegian sweaters that Mary made! They're gorgeous!

Two people provided these fabulous examples of Hardanger.

I had an absolutely fabulous time chatting with everyone about spinning, fibers, sheep, and fiber preparation....and I got to spin on both my wheel and my drop spindle as I did it! The only down side for me was that as a demonstrator, I didn't get a chance to listen to the presentations by the other artisans.

One additional spinning note - I'm currently filling the LAST bobbin with the green multi-colored "generic" wool! Wahoo! It's almost completely spun! Then the next step will be to actually knit the intended jacket, the Samus from Knitty.com. I can't wait. I do need ot get on the stick though as Fall officially started today....and the Samus would be a fantastic Fall jacket!

2 Comments:

  • At 5:41 PM, Blogger GretchenX said…

    Almond ANYTHING is good, as far as I am concerned. Hazlenut anything too, while we're at it! I'm glad you had so much fun - it looked like a blast.

    Did anyone bring any meade?

     
  • At 6:19 PM, Blogger Jinann said…

    No meade. However, I suspect the Norwegians would have probably brought Aquavit or Glogg rather than meade to their "banquets".

     

Post a Comment

<< Home