Have Ewe Any Wool?

Friday, June 22, 2007

Finally!

I've FINALLY finished spinning the generic wool roving with the recycled denim bits flecked throughout. I managed to finish spinning the singles on Tuesday morning.....and plied one bobbin on Tuesday before going to my spinning/knitting group. When I got home, I finished plying the final bobbin.

The roving was like spinning dryer lint - not a very pleasant roving to spin - I think that's why it took me so long to finish spinning it. It really dries the hands and leaves bits of shredded blue jeans beneath you as you spin. I have a total of 10 skeins and still have a small ball and small skein of singles that I can ply as well (if needed).

I really like the overall effect of the finished yarn. It's nubby with lumps and bumps of various colors of blue throughout. The resulting yarn is about worsted weight and should make a very interesting sweater or jacket to wear over blue jeans. However, I don't recommend wearing a "fleece" type of shirt beneath it or you'll be full of shredded blue jeans flecks! I'm hoping that after setting the twist, knitting a garment, and then blocking the garment, the "flakiness" of the yarn will dramatically diminish.

On the knitting front, I've started another pair of socks. These are out of deep purple and black Wildfoote from Brown Sheep. I'd started them while waiting at DMV, but the yarn splits easily and I had to "fix" several stitches. I didn't like how it looked, so at my friend Catherine's, I took out my sock and pulled all the needles out so I could start over. I think I nearly gave her heart failure! I had only knit about 1 inch of the cuff at the time, so it really wasn't a great loss.

At the group on Tuesday, I also wound off a skein of Louet Kid-Lin in a deep cranberry color. I'll be starting on the Lilith (by Louet). It's a wonderful pattern that can be a stole, a shrug, or a vest - talk about versatile! It's a lovely yarn comprised of two separate strands - one strand of mohair and one strand of linen. The finished item should be absolutely stunning - I've already fondled and ogled both a shop model on loan from Louet as well as the purple one a friend of mine just completed. I can't wait until mine is done!




Oh....I almost forgot! I got a very cute birthday card from my friend Ferol. She definitely knows me too well - the front of the card says, "Bring coffe and no one get hurt"! It's the PERFECT card for me!






AND......my friend Karen sent me a fabulous skein of Colinette "Jitterbug" sock yarn in deep purples, black, and a few other yummy colors. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!


AND.....the package from Astrid's Dutch Obsessions in the Netherlands arrived! (Astrid is fabulous to deal with - I highly recommend her - and she carries some gorgeous yarns!) Inside is the wonderful Kauni yarn that some of us ordered, as well as some fabulous sock yarn that another friend ordered. Mine is the large pinky-purple skein on the top right. I'll be making Jeanie Townsend's Rainbow Shawl. The only hard part of ordering yarn with friends will be parting with the gorgeous yarns so they can be delivered to their "rightful owners"!

One final bit of "late breaking news" - I finally got my invite to join Ravelry! Wahoo! I've started putting my info in - it's so exciting. The Ravelry website is in its infancy, but it's totally awesome! What a fabulous knitting/crocheting resource!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home