Have Ewe Any Wool?

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Down On the Farm....Again

Whew! Another weekend, another beautiful day.....and a fabulous time once again visiting a farm. This weekend took us to Misty Mountain Farm - the weather was perfect and the fibery goodness was fantastic! There was quite a variety of animals, so I've posted a bunch of pictures.

There was a llama, a few alpacas, a lone Lincoln sheep (it's the brown sheep that has a photo with JUST her in it!), many Finn Sheep (mostly brown and some white), many angora goats, a rooster with some chickens (only got a shot of the rooster), and the requisite herding dog, Katie. Katie and I hit it off real well - she stood up to "kiss me" as I was gazing at the herd from the fence. I think she could tell I'm a dog lover!

The llama was VERY friendly! If you got near the fence, you got sniffed, snuggled, and breathed on - it took Lisa by surprise on a number of occasions! I think the photo of Lisa and the llama captures the friendliness of this one - this llama was definitely a "lover", not a "spitter"! The sheep were pretty friendly too.....when they all went in the barn, they would produce a symphony of "baas" every time I talked! It was too funny!

Four of us made the trek to Linda's - Elizabeth and Terri met us there and Lisa rode with me. Inside the studio, we were met with an abundance of fibery goodness - lots of fiber (natural and dyed), spinning equipment, yarn, spindles, patterns, books, etc. Since was a bit chilly in the morning, and Linda had the fireplace going and greeted us with freshly brewed coffee. We relaxed a bit and shopped a bit.....it was very cozy and very enjoyable.


















































After Elizabeth and Terri headed out, Lisa and I decided to make a run to Middleburg for lunch at the Hidden Horse Tavern and a visit to Hunt Country Yarns. I took the "back route" from Warrenton to Middleburg - big mistake! It made me a bit car sick.....even though I was driving! The route was rural and beautiful, but very twisty, windy, and hilly - definitely the bain of anyone who gets motion sickness! Next time, I plan to stick to the interstate and main routes!

OH---- My DH is the BEST!!!! My car got all muddy from the farm trip....and he gave my car a good washing today! He's the BEST sweetheart in the world - DEFINITELY a keeper!

Other Fiber Adventures......
Earlier this week, Lisa and I met Elizabeth at Needles in the Haymarket and spent the morning knitting, chatting, and shopping. We then had lunch at "PW's Eatery And Dessert Shoppe".....we had a fabulous time! Elizabeth made me the wonderful stitch markers you see below. They're double-sided: one used to label your D (decrease) or E (even) rows and the other is used to label your I (increase) or E (even) rows. This is fabulous for sock knitting and lace knitting where you encounter alternating rows like this....and can sometimes lose track of which row you're on. She made me two of each type.

Elizabeth also brought me tons of mohair - I love mohair! I love how it looks and have made a number of cozy items from it over the years. Elizabeth (and several other people I know) can't knit with mohair - they either don't like it or have a allergy to it. So, I became the lucky recipient of a lifetime supply of mohair. The bag is STUFFED to the brim with colored mohair - is this Karma or what? The colors are definitely my colors - purples, teals, blues! It's like it was meant for me! Then, there's the gorgeous white that can be blended with about any thing else! The slubby mohair with the pastels in it will make a gorgeous Easter shawl or something nice and "Spring-like". Thanks again Elizabeth!

6 Comments:

  • At 4:57 PM, Blogger Lizardknits said…

    I'm glad you like the mohair! Sadly, it makes me itch- (:<) Much better it should have a home where it can be loved and petted!

     
  • At 10:31 PM, Blogger Nic said…

    What a mohair boone! So let me understand the life of Jinann, weekends are filled with fiber farm trips and people handing over sacks of mohair to you while your car is getting washed.

     
  • At 4:57 AM, Blogger Jinann said…

    LOL - Sometimes....trust me, it doesn't ALWAYS work out like that. I've been a very fortunate girl this past month....and have some wonderful friends!

     
  • At 6:43 AM, Blogger Mia said…

    Those animals are so cute! I'm sorry I missed it. I bet you got a good haul of fiber, not to mention the crazy amount of gifted mohair!

     
  • At 7:22 AM, Blogger Jody said…

    Wow!! The pics are great! I'm glad you guys had a good time - I'm even more sorry I missed it!

     
  • At 5:26 PM, Blogger Terri said…

    Sure was nice seeing you again Jinann! We wooshed out and I didn't really get to say bye. Hope to see you again real soon!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home