Have Ewe Any Wool?

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Down on the Farm

What a wonderful day! A friend of mine and I drove out to Mt. Airy Farm near Marshall, VA to visit a sheep farm. I'd heard that she'd just shorn her sheep and had a number of fleeces for sale - Cormo and CVM (California Variegated Mutant). Both of these breeds are very soft and crimpy. It's soft enough to wear next to the skin.....just like Merino. I bought a cormo fleece and a gorgeous 3-colored CVM fleece.

She has MANY more fleeces - and they're all beautiful! Here's a shot of the pile of fleeces left to chose from. If you're not interested in fleeces, she also has some fabulous colored roving that she just got back from the processor - cormo, cormo/mohair mixes, and I think some with CVM.

The farm is in a VERY scenic area - lots of gorgeous rolling hills....and the weather was fantastic! Wallys has Cormo sheep, CVM sheep, Angora goats, and a Jacob sheep. Jacob sheep are descendants of Jacob's flock (from the Old Testament) and is the oldest sheep breed. I found that tidbit of information absolutely fascinating. The black and white sheep in the photos below is the Jacob. The field with the colored sheep contains CVMs (with a white CVM as well). The field with all the white sheep and a few goats contains Cormo. The photo of the lone white sheep shows a Cormo ewe "striking a pose". The other photos show the adult angoras, baby angoras, and the draft horses.




































On the way home from the farm, we stopped in Haymarket and checked out the shop, Needles in a Haymarket. It's a fabulous shop and has not only knitting/crocheting paraphernalia, but needlepoint and cross-stitch as well. They're located on the 3rd floor of the building and parking is around back. We had a wonderful time and found many "treasures" to take home!

I've had a very productive "knitting week" - I finished 3 items and am halfway done with another. And, yes, one of them was a WIP from last year! I'm a month or two ahead of myself on my "New Years Resolution" to finish at least one "old" WIP per month.

Noro Aurora scarf using the yarn from Aimee (my secret pal from SP9) and a pattern idea from my friend Kris. The metallic really shines in the sunlight giving the scarf a whole new dimension.





Haiku scarf done in a Feather and Fan pattern. Haiku is a gorgeous lace weight yarn that's 40% silk and 60% mohair from Alchemy Yarns. I love the subtle color changes of the yarn. (I have some rayon boucle in this same colorway from Blue Heron Yarns....not sure what to make with that yet....)





The "Claudia" socks using Claudia's Hand Painted Merino yarn in fingering weight and the basic ribbed sock pattern from Fiber Trends pattern, "Helen's Favorite Socks". I just love the color!



One done, one to go on my "Parasol Socks" designed by the talented Kay. I LOVE how these are knitting up! She also has a couple of other patterns as well....be sure to check it out! I'm using Fleece Artist Merino wool and this pattern really enhances the beauty of this yarn - check out the coloration and patterning of the heels.

7 Comments:

  • At 9:51 AM, Blogger Kai said…

    Sounds like you had a great time... lovely sheep!! :)

    And the projects are lovely.. that feather and fan scarf is scrummy...

     
  • At 4:35 AM, Blogger Hawkesley said…

    What a great day out. The sheep look really cute. I love your Parasol socks too.

     
  • At 5:24 AM, Blogger Jinann said…

    I love animals....guess that's why I like visiting the farms! Kay really did a fabulous job with the pattern - I love it! I can't wait to finish the second sock!

     
  • At 7:17 AM, Blogger Nic said…

    I love farm trips but I always have such a problem with trying to shove a goat or sheep into my car. They dont like it nor do the whiney passengers.

     
  • At 7:38 AM, Blogger Jinann said…

    LOL! So the existing passengers aren't pleased when you add the fiber animals as passengers? Harumph!

     
  • At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow! The pictures are great, and it looks like you've had a great time.

     
  • At 3:44 AM, Blogger Jinann said…

    It was a lot of fun! However, I still haven't washed/processed my fleeces!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home