Have Ewe Any Wool?

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Spinning, Weaving, and Knitting

Some weeks are just wonderful - full of interesting and enjoyable activities. This week has definitely been one of them.

Tuesday evening was spent spinning and chatting with some friends. I got to ogle some luscious dyed roving and got a line on some recently shorn fleeces......mmmmm.....lanolin.

Wednesday morning, I headed to Round Hill, VA for the Blue Ridge Spinners and Weavers Guild meeting - although I'm a member, this is only the 2nd meeting I've been able to attend. They're a fabulous group - the only criteria for being a member is that you "have to be nice" - how refreshing! I love that attitude.....plus I'm in awe of all the weaving and spinning talent they have! "Show and Tell" with this group is absolutely awesome - there were some fabulous handwoven shawls and towels as well as a lovely felted picture - complete with little sheepies.

The meeting was fantastic! There was a presentation on Nantucket Lightship Baskets by a very talented Nantucket Basket weaver, Terri Sackett. We learned a lot about the history and construction of these wonderful baskets - they are both utilitarian as well as objects of art. Here's a few pictures of the fabulous baskets Terri showed us. The detail and workmanship is phenomenal! I'm so glad I went - I learned a lot.























I ended the day attending the Purls of Distinction Knitting Guild meeting. As always, it was a very enjoyable evening of knitting and sharing. I really enjoyed looking at everyone's gorgeous creations. I get so inspired by what everyone else makes - and the gorgeous yarns that are out there! And yes, I must admit, it sometimes causes my list of projects to grow.....but that's a good thing!

4 Comments:

  • At 8:11 PM, Blogger Nic said…

    I have to admit baskets are kind of impressive to look at that are hand done... but isnt it also kind of hard labor (ie callouses and what not)?

     
  • At 4:01 AM, Blogger Jinann said…

    Definitely! Many baskets take at least a week to do. Keep in mind that in addition to the actual weaving time, there's the woodwork for the handles and bases and the ivory work for the tops (or more woodwork) - all that is done by hand and takes time as well. That's why the baskets are soooo exepensive. This really made me appreciate the time and effort that goes into them - and now I fully understand the cost.

     
  • At 8:50 AM, Blogger Jody said…

    How awesome! I have always wanted to learn how to make baskets.

     
  • At 10:57 AM, Blogger Mia said…

    Such beautiful baskets! The ornamental tops are quite lovely. As for blistered fingers, I saw a documentary once about how longaberger makes their baskets and their craftsmen had their fingers all taped up. I'm not sure, but I can only hope that it was to prevent injury and not that they worked their fingers until they were sore and bandaged!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home