Have Ewe Any Wool?

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Spinning Betrayal!

Alas! This past weekend I was busily working on another skein for the "Spin-to-Knit" exchange, when Louie (my handsome Louet S77) betrayed me! ARGH! I had completed a skein already....the one I mentioned earlier this week. That skein, while soft and rather pretty, did not spin up as consistently as I'd intended. Therefore, I decided not to make that such a large skein and decided to spin something else. On the left, you can see Leonardo (one of my Valentine's gifts from DH) posing with the first skein. You can double click on the picture for a closer view of the colorations. The skein was made using one ply of BFL with a second ply of BFL and several different shades of "Wild Orchid" dyed Finn.

Not totally satisfied with the first skein, I started another - using a totally different fiber. Spinning for the first ply went fine. I started spinning the second ply. I was really whizzing along....spinning to my little heart's content. Suddenly......there was a strange noise...... followed by an "odd sensation" beneath my left foot. The wheel spun slowly to a halt. Further investigation revealed that the "footman to treadle" connector beneath the left pedal had sheared off! I was speechless!










The connector basically looks like a glue stick that you use for hot glue - it's pretty substantial and rarely breaks from what I've read. You can see all 3 connectors in the picture on the right....as well as the "detached" left treadle! You can also double click on the picture for a closer view of the "severed" connector. NONE of the local spinning/knitting shops carry this part in stock.....so, I've had to resort to ordering one. Actually, I ordered four - one to replace the one that broke, and 3 more so I have spare parts - this wheel uses that same connector in 3 places....so now, I'll have a full set of replacements! (This also helped make the shipping costs feel "worthwhile" - I'd rather pay $6.95 in shipping to get 4 of them than $5.95 to get 1!)

Ahhh.....the bedsocks. The spinning wheel fiasco has FORCED me to dedicate more time to my sister's Alpaca bedsocks. I have one completed (yeah!!!) and I just finished the heel shaping of the second one. For some reason, the grafting of the toe of the first sock did not go as well as I'd hoped....there's a slight "feel" to it, even though it's invisible. I'll wait and see how the second one turns out before I decide whether or not to re-do it. Hopefully, I'll get these mailed out to her before the weekend....and she'll no longer have the "cold feet" she's been complaining about!

4 Comments:

  • At 11:21 AM, Blogger Jody said…

    The yarn looks gorgeous! The totally sucks about your wheel breaking though!
    Hope you can fix it as good as new.

     
  • At 5:49 PM, Blogger Nic said…

    I am always in awe of your spinning prowess. I am shocked about your wheel. Aren't they supposed to last 1000 of years?

    I made bedsocks for my SIL, but one of my ferrets snagged one before I could mail them. UG.

     
  • At 4:56 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    That is exquisite yarn - I hope Leonardo's tail is switching as he purrs sweet nothings to it.

    Ahem. I believe you just received a SIGN regarding your sister's poor cold toes.

    No luck on the snow day but I'm one row away from starting the border patterns on the Swallowtail. I'm almost afraid to count the stitches to see how many have to be added or subtracted, given all the rip-back and reknits thus far.

    Cheers, Karen

     
  • At 8:41 AM, Blogger Mia said…

    The yarn looks beautiful! So sorry about Louie. Hopefully the parts will come soon.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home