Have Ewe Any Wool?

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Jacey Boggs Workshop






Wow!   What a fabulous weekend!   Two full days of classes with the very talented Jacey Boggs!  I had a lot of fun.







There were about 16 of us that filled the Purcelville Train Depot with spinning wheels...ready to learn techniques to create textured yarns.  This photo almost captures all the wheels.




Jacey was a fabulous teacher.   She broke down each technique and had us come up in small groups.   We stood behind her so we could see what she was doing at the proper angle.   (So much easier than trying to view it from the front and then reverse it!)  We then had the chance to re-enforce what we'd just seen again...after we'd tried it ourselves.




It's amazing....the things that came so easy when learning to spin years ago seemed hard now!  Of course, when I was learning I didn't WANT the "textured" yarns.   Thick and thin was a staple for me when I was a beginning spinner....and I strove to teach myself to spin evenly.  My "art yarn" became a mere memory......

As an experienced spinner, I'd become stuck in a rut.  I'd spin pretty much the same thickness and the same texture all the time.  I longed to  create  textured yarns....but in a contolled manner and and of course...on purpose!  Jacey did a fabulous job of breaking down each step in the process of creating a number of styles of textured yarn.  I'll  no longer be stuck  spinning boring, predictible, one sized yarn.  She's opened a whole world of spinning options!

Ideally, I can create consistent yarn in the thickness and texture I desire.  Yes....I learned a lot, took lots of notes, and understand the process of creating several styles of texture yarn.  BUT....I found I definitely need practice!   It's hard to break the old habit of "spinning one way".   It's hard to break habits too....positioning my hands or fingers differently from how I normally spin.   There were a few times where I longed for a third arm.....I just needed a little more help.  Other times, I simply suffered the awkwardness that typically accompanies learning a new technique.    Yes....I DEFINITELY need some additional practice. 

My cocoons actually came out much better than I expected....so I'm sharing photos of that yarn.   The others definitely aren't ready for prime time!   (I need more practice to create "view worthy" samples!











Jacey got a hole in one of her socks on Saturday and joked about needing a new pair.   I'd made a few pairs over the past few months in preparation for winter, and I knew that one pair was a bit too long for me.   I needed to tear them back and re-knit in order to shorten them.  I HATE tearing back and re-knitting something I've already completed, so I went home and brought her the "too long" pair on Sunday.  They fit!  Her feet are a tad longer than mine, so it worked out perfectly!  It was a win-win - Jacey got a new pair of socks....and I didn't have to tear back and re-knit after all! 

Jacey is fabulous teacher.....and tells wonderful stories as she teaches.  It was an incredible weekend - but it ended too soon!  I highly recommend her classes - you'll have a blast!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home