Have Ewe Any Wool?

Sunday, October 27, 2013

The Alternative to the Curly Scarf


The last couple of years, everyone has been making the curly, ruffly, flouncy little scarves made with the various sizes of netting - small holes to large holes.   I've made TONS of them myself.    There are other things that can be made.  

At the New York Sheep and Wool Festival, I was helping some friends with their booth and a fellow knitter and festival goer stopped in with a fabulous looking shawlette.  I loved it!   She said it was very easy to make using a crochet hook or knitting needles and the same yarn that we'd all been using to make the curly scarves.   She even went out to get her "shawl in progress" so she could show me the finer points of stitching it together.   That was so sweet!!!

I couldn't wait to start my own shawlette.   You basically stretch out the mesh netting and knit in a spiral...around and around thorugh 2-3 skeins of the "yarn".   (It took me several tries to get it right - my first few attempts resulted in odd looking cone shaped thing.)  The actual knitting didn't take very long....once I mastered how NOT to make a cone and how to spiral instead.  

There were two things I don't really like - the bulky center at the start and the way it finishes....a bit abruptly.   Of course, I'm sure I'll master that over time and come up with a good way of starting and ending that doesn't make it bulky or lumpy.  
 
It does make a very pretty shawlette....perfect for the holidays with the glittery bits.   There are so many choices of color....with and without sequins.....with or without glitz......endless combinations!

 

(I completed this one while still in NY....and went out and bought more yarn right away!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home