Have Ewe Any Wool?

Monday, April 26, 2010

Spinning Progress

.
I've managed to get some spinning in over the past couple of weeks. It always feels good to "create" new yarn! It's very relaxing...and playing with colors is always fun!

I spun the first skein up on "Katarina", my Kromski Mazurka wheel..and yes, she's a new addition. She's very light and easily toted about. I took her with me on a visit to my DH's grandmother at the assisted living center and it created quite a splash! All of the nursing staff had to come huddle around the room to watch the spinning wheel in action - they were fascinated! I love how lightweight she is!

The roving was some brown and pink hand-dyed Corriedale that I received from a swap partner. First, I spun all the roving into a bobbin of singles. Then, I made a small skein (.2 oz) that didn't turn out well at all - I had a hard time Navajo plying as I didn't have my lazy kate with me.....so, I kept hitting "snags" and it eventually broke the thread. Oh, well....I wanted a small sample skein anyway - plus, the exercise served as a refresher. I always seem to be somewhat rusty at Navajo plying until I've practiced for a few yards!

Once home, I set up my lazy kate and got to work on my "real" skein. The final skein has 88 yds. and weighs 1.6 oz . It looks good enough to eat! (It reminds me of chocolate and strawberry ice cream - yum!!!) I'm not sure what to make with this. I need to wash the skein and determine the WPI and then figure out what to make.


The next wool to be spun on Katarina was also a couple of ounces of hand-dyed Corriedale from the same swap partner. These colors are more typical for me - purples with a bit of pink and blue. I truly enjoyed "stepping outside my box" with the brown and pink - that had been a nice change. I've just started spinning this bundle, so I don't have any finished yarn as yet. I'm not sure when I'll get back to it - hopefully soon!



On Louie, I FINALLY finished spinning the very soft natural, lavender, grey wool that I bought from Dianne (Creatively Dyed Yarn) 2 1/2 years ago at the Montpelier Fall Fiber Festival. The wool is and incredibly soft Corriedale. I originally thought it had to be either Merino or BFL as it was so soft, but according to my notes, it was Corriedale! I LOVE it and I just love the colorway!!!! My finished 2-ply skein weighed a hearty 4 oz.....with a small .1 oz skein of singles left over.

I managed to catch some great photos of the flowers in a friend's back yard. On the left is the flower of a Paw Paw tree....I'd never seen these flowers before. I love the deep, dark red of the petals. (A couple of years ago, I actually tried the Paw Paw fruit.) On the right is a gorgeous yellow flower...I can't remember what it was called. My friend has mainly wild flowers and native plants...as well as a few imports - I can't remember which category this one falls in!

3 Comments:

  • At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anne Campbell said…

    Your yarns are looking very good - that soft lavendar is particularly yummy. And what an elegant wheel that is!

    Thanks for the flower photos - that paw paw flower is surprisingly elegant, unlike its name.

     
  • At 3:14 PM, Blogger Jinann said…

    Thanks....I love the lavender yarn as well - I have about a pound of it. (I need to weigh it for the exact amount).

    I do love the wheel - I think this is the prettiest one I own.

     
  • At 7:44 AM, Blogger K @ Tidewater Knits said…

    Ooh, your spinning is lovely. <3 Super-cute felted bag in your last post, too. Hee.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home