Have Ewe Any Wool?

Friday, March 19, 2010

Felt Mania!

.
Since I always have "little things" laying around that should be organized, I've felted a set of nesting bowls to do just that. The bowls were a very quick and easy knit using the pattern I found on the Alice*Thelma blog: Felted Nesting Bowls.

I didn't measure the bowls when I started, but the largest fit easily on my head as a basic winter cap with a rolled brim. This is a great stash burner - especially if you have small amounts of wool yarn (non-superwash!) left over from previous projects. These bowls are an "instant" project since they knit up so fast.













I really like how these bowls turned out. Of course, I'm a bit partial to all the pinks and purples, but the shape and size was perfect too.














I also tried designing a felted flower. There are a couple of problems with the flower. First off, I made each petal a little too long and a bit on the narrow side. Secondly, the construction was a bit fiddly and didn't quite come together as I'd envisioned. The join of the petals was VERY messy pre-felting.

Post felting, the flower was a bit too floppy(and rather plain), but I was somewhat pleased with the overall shape. It will have it's limitations though. It will definitely need to be "tacked down" on a bag rather than free-standing as a decorative felted flower in a vase...even if I did add leaves and a stem. I'll probably "finish" the flower by adding a large button or pompom for the center.

5 Comments:

  • At 5:55 AM, Blogger JaymeKnits said…

    For the flower, what if you put thin wire through each petal? It may help it stand on it's own, then you could use it in a vase if you wanted to.

     
  • At 6:09 AM, Blogger Jinann said…

    What a great idea! Thanks Jayme!

     
  • At 7:06 AM, Blogger K @ Tidewater Knits said…

    I adore those little bowls! So cute. And so very pink, which makes them an automatic win in my book. <3

     
  • At 10:50 AM, Blogger Chris Tolomei (alicethelma) said…

    Fabulous! I'm getting ready to post a new felted pattern soon but in the meantime would it be ok if I linked to your bowls. They came out great!

     
  • At 11:06 AM, Blogger Jinann said…

    No problem Chris - "Link-away".

     

Post a Comment

<< Home