Have Ewe Any Wool?

Sunday, May 25, 2008

......And the Fiber Adventures Continue

Wow! Just when you think that the week can't get any better.....

Yesterday, some more fabulous fiber goodies arrived. Oh....and I'd forgotten about a "recent arrival" from last week.

First, the "goodie" from last week. I know that cotton is difficult to spin, but I still want to try it. So, I've begun the quest to obtain all the necessary tools to accomplish just that. Last week, I got a set of used "cotton cards". Now I'll definitely be able to properly prepare the fibers for spinning.....just in case it's not roving, but simply ginned cotton instead. Next on my list is the quill for "Lizzie" (my Ashford Elizabeth).

DH went off to visit his grandma and his folks while I "played" at the yarn shop yesterday. I baked some fresh blueberry muffins to send along, though, so I was there in spirit, even though I couldn't go in person! His folks just got back from a whirlwind trip across the US - a big loop from the desert southwest, California, Canada, South Dakota, and back. All told, they spent a bit more than a month traversing a number of states and viewing many fabulous national treasures - both natural and man made. They even brought me back a souvenir - and it's perfect! They know how "into" the fiber arts I am, so they picked up a Navajo and Hopi Dye book - how cool is that? I can't wait to "discover" the natural dyes they used - and perhaps employ them in the "Shepherd's Rug" I plan to make out of the Navajo Churro wool that I bought at the Maryland Sheep and Wool
Festival......

I also received the 10 flax stricks I ordered from "Dave the Flaxman" - I ordered 5 fine stricks and 5 average ones last Saturday and they've already arrived! Wahoo! Here's a photo of what a strick looks like. He even included a fabulous one page tutorial on how to dress the distaff and his fast and easy method of spinning flax. I can't wait to get started! His prices are fabulous and he was an absolute joy to speak with! He's been spinning flax for 40 years, so he definitely is a wealth of information and tips about spinning flax! I'll be sure to take photos again once I "dress" a distaff and start spinning. Oh....that reminds me....I need to also order a distaff for "Lizzie" as well (The distaff from my Finnish flax wheel is missing the upright piece of wood, otherwise, I'd use that for spinning the flax).

My final "treat" was some delicious roving that I ordered directly from Lisa at Somerhill Farm - wool from her sheep! And the colors are just divine! The Raspberry colored roving (the BFL Cheviot cross) is sold out. She still has a bit of the "Wisteria" (pure BFL) remaining, but you better hurry if you want some....she doesn't have much left!










I'm planning to make a sweater using a Celtic knot design of some sort with the BFL Cheviot cross as the color will definitely show off the detail. The purple will become a less textured project as the magenta and other more subtle colors blended in will give it richness and depth. The small baggie contains color coordinating dyed BFL locks that I can use to make designer yarn, or add to accessories or the sweater I intend to make from the purple BFL. Oh the possibilities!

3 Comments:

  • At 2:11 AM, Blogger Kai said…

    Oh what a yummy haul! Let us know how the book is, it definitely looks really insteresting! :)

     
  • At 10:09 AM, Blogger Mia said…

    I've heard so much about this mysterious "dressing of the distaff"...I can't wait to see what it looks like!

     
  • At 10:57 AM, Blogger Jinann said…

    The only problem is the distaff for "Lizzie" is on backorder......who knows when it will get here?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home