Have Ewe Any Wool?

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Rhinebeck Trip...Day 4 - Second Day of the Festival

I completed most of my shopping on the first day of the festival, but I revisited some of them with my friend Lisa. She also brought me to a couple of her favorite vendors. One of them was Sliver Moon - gorgeous yarns and rovings in the tents outside the barns. She'd found some lovely yarn for her next sweater. I found an incredible deal on some gorgeous 70% Alpaca/30% Merino roving - the blend of colors is fabulous and the price couldn't be beat! I think the color is absolutely luscious - a silvery green....note that it isn't my usual purples/blues/pinks. I also got some gorgeous Tussah silk roving as well - another shopper and I were encouraging each other on the purchase as the colors were NOT our typical selection.









I also found some lovely patterns at Briar Rose Fibers. A couple of the patterns are commercial patterns, but one was their own - "Northern Lights". It's a shawl with a bit of an uneven pattern that really adds interest. The pattern is printed on a "purse sized" piece of card stock - that conveniently fits into any project bag! (This is also the vendor where I saw the Icarus done in a worsted weight...and absolutely loved it!)

I watched some of the Frisbee dog training....the "newbies" were pretty funny. They were overly distracted by both the crowds and the interesting animal scents they found in the show ring. They were quite entertaining none the less. I took a couple of short videos of the dogs catching Frisbees, but they were very dark and hard to see as they were indoors and against the sun.




On the second day of the festival, I got a much better shot of the guy riding the two horses. He makes it look so easy! The one horse neighed quite a bit....I don't think he was too happy!





The highlight of the day was listening to Stephanie Pearl-McPhee in the Author's tent. I had missed her visit here to Northern Virginia, so I was absolutely thrilled that she was here as well. It was fabulous - there was "standing room only" in the tent as she regaled us with here "knitty wit". I especially liked the allusion to "your friend with all the cats" - too funny as that's where I was staying! After her presentation, I even managed to get some books signed. Definitely a great day!

I spent some time chatting with one of the shepherds about how much I love the Rambouillet wool (in addition to BFL and Merino) and it turned out that he was one of the premiere Rambouillet farmers - he had both a Grand Champion ram and a Grand Champion ewe. I managed to get a great picture of the ewe - it seems like she loved posing for photos - I believe she "knew" she was a Grand Champion!

I spent the remainder of my time at the festival taking photos of the various fiber animals - llamas, alpaca, goats, sheep. I'm absolutely amazed at the variety of breeds that were on display - some cute and cuddly with dense kinky wool while others were fluffy with rather straight wool. I took so many photos I need to put them in an album! Here are just a few.







































I just love the faces on these two sheep - especially the one on the right!





The view from the parking lot at the absolutely spectacular as well - I enjoyed walking out to me car with my purchases just so I could enjoy the view again...and again...and again. Though the festival was on the east side of the Hudson River, you can easily see the Catskills on the west side of the river in the background. It's just gorgeous!









I also got a few great shots while crossing the bridge. The views were spectacular! (Be sure to "click" on the photos for a closer view.)


The first day, I took morning pictures of the view from Cathy's - where I was staying. Here are some evening views - just gorgeous!











Of course, I had to get some final shots of the Cathy's cats. The elusive Joey finally "allowed" me to photograph him. He has a very long tail and likes to "stand on it" - I finally caught a shot of that. Then there's Rusty who thinks he's a dog and just "lays out" on the couch so you can rub his belly. And a final photo of the "chow line" - I never did manage to catch them all in one photo!!!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home