Have Ewe Any Wool?

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Transformation!

The mystery wool has now finished it's transformation into yarn. It's gorgeous! I am so pleased with this! I spun it thin so I can make socks from it. It's mostly wool - I got it to felt when it broke while spinning. BUT I think that some of it (especially the rather shiny white fiber) is nylon.....which is perfect (in combination with wool) for socks!

Initially, when I was given this roving, I was not that thrilled with it. It was kinda flat and fuzzy looking (I think that was from languishing in some one's stash!). Then there was the color. Yes, it had the blue as the main color (which I like), but it had some very vibrant splashes of other colors that I didn't really think went well with the base color. Ah, but that all changed once I put the fiber to the wheel....I REALLY liked the contrast and depth that the additional colors gave it. And there's even a hint of a purplish tint to the finished yarn....imagine that!








I love how the yarn turned out. The skein weighs just over 6 oz. (about 175 g.) As for the length, I lost track EARLY in the skeining process.....I counted to 300 yards before giving up, so I think there's easily 900-1000 yards in this skein....possibly more! There's DEFINITELY enough for me to give the person who gave me the roving half of the skein...and for me to make a pair of socks with the other half!

The mini skeins were my attempt to divide the remaining singles from the bobbin so I could ply them as well....but they came out rather uneven....one has twice as much as the other. I haven't decided if I'll bother plying these together or not. I may just add them to my ever growing mound of left-over "singles".

Uh....today I started another project instead of finishing off a "work-in-progress" I needed to do some mindless knitting in the car on the way to and from my DH's Mema's. (It has to be "mindless" because I can't really look at what I'm doing or I'll get carsick!) Anyhow, since it's spring, I decided to start a "Springtime" sock - it's in Sockotta and it's 45% cotton, 40% wool, and 15% nylon. The knitted result is a bit like an Impressionist painting....subtle, soothing color changes.

Again on the "Spring Theme", Mema's dogwood was in full bloom, so I couldn't resist getting a photo of it as well. I love this time of year - everything is so fresh, new, and beautiful! And the colors are so vibrant. It's too bad the fabulous colors don't last longer!

3 Comments:

  • At 3:45 AM, Blogger Kai said…

    oohh.. that skein looks absolutely stunning. *drools*

    and the spring sock is very nice indeed!

    I love Spring. It heralds all the loveliness that will soon turn into Summer..

     
  • At 9:23 AM, Blogger Mia said…

    Yum, pretty handspun! And a pretty spring sock too! How do you measure yardage with your spinning? Do you use a niddy noddy or a yarn meter?

     
  • At 9:28 AM, Blogger Jinann said…

    I use a niddy-noddy (It's a 2 yd. one)....and I lost count!!! I think I want to invest in a meter....or skein winder that "counts"....those are really cool!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home