Have Ewe Any Wool?

Friday, June 23, 2006

You CAN Teach an Old Dog New Tricks!

Yesterday was a wonderful day! I successfully learned the "Magic Loop" method for knitting a pair of socks on a single needle. It's really cool and quite a unique approach.

It makes you wonder how people thought these things up....perhaps a favorite canine had run off with some of the wooden DPN needles? When my dog, Sandy, was a puppy, she thought my Crystal Palace Bamboo DPNs (that I was using for my FIRST pair of socks) were special "doggie sticks". She stole two of them proceeded to chew them up! Luckily, I had been working on the heel flap, so I only had 3 needles with "live" stitches and she "stole" the two empty needles. (Smart dog!) This did, however, slow down the completion of my first sock. I had to wait until the next morning to trek out to the yarn shop in search of more. Needless to say, I now typically buy TWO sets at a time....just in case!

I still prefer the double points, but I'm really glad I learned this method. I'd heard so much about it and was curious about how it works. (I knit much slower on circs than I do on DPNs....which may be the reason for my preference.)

I even mananged to work in 1 1/4 hrs. of spinning last night as well. Wahoo! I'm definitely trying to stick to my goal of spinning for 5 hrs. per week for the Summer Spinning Challenge! I decided to spin my Coral colored Merino top since it was handy (in the family room where the TV is....setup and ready to go!). I do need to ply my two bobbins of the blue Merino multi that I'm spinning for my mom's scarf before Monday, when I go to my usual spinning group (Spinning on Mondays does NOT count toward my goal of 5 hrs. per week).

3 Comments:

  • At 7:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Aren't dogs great? They always want to be involved in what their humans are going. My dog's got a fondness for Rowan Kidsilk Haze. He "borrowed" some from my stash and chewed on the label (but he didn't hurt the yarn, clever dog!)

    The pink yarn you spun looks scrumptious! What are your plans for it?

    ~SP

     
  • At 7:55 AM, Blogger Jinann said…

    The yarn's actually more of a coral (others call it salmon)....my laptop shows it as pink as well. It kinda reminds me of Creamsicles......a great thing to be reminded of in this horrid DC heat and humidity!!!!

    As for what I'm gonna make.....hmmm.....good question. That's part of my problem.....I seem to spin bunches of yarn, but don't ever make anything that uses the hand spun! LOL!

     
  • At 7:58 PM, Blogger Lizardknits said…

    Congrats on learning magic loop! I did too, but I still prefer my DPN's. See you Sunday?

    Elizabeth

     

Post a Comment

<< Home