Have Ewe Any Wool?

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Fiber Heaven

Oh, my! Since I'm in Illinois visiting my folks, we decided to take a trip up to "The Fold" in Marengo to visit Toni. Her shop is gorgeous and so full of everything fiber! I was so excited - she's got everything you can imagine! I had a wonderful time and so did my parents. My mom is still raving about the store (I overheard her on the phone this morning with one of my aunts!). My mom does not knit/crochet/spin, but she really enjoys the final products and is fascinated by all the wonderful wools and fibers that exist.

Toni has about every kind of fiber and yarn you can imagine - including exotic fibers - like Vicuna. She has lots of spinning wheels, a few looms, and a ton of wooden drop spindles! There's a wonderful variety of knitting needles - straights and circs. She has a large selection of books - knitting, crochet, spinning, and weaving. Her sheep are grazing just outside her shop - I took some photos with my cell phone, so they're not the greatest....but you get the idea.

Of course, I purchased some STR (I'd missed out on that at the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival.....I got to Toni's booth too late) Mom is buying me a skein of it as part of my birthday present! She also had me pick out one of the wooden drop spindles....I picked out a real pretty one. Thanks Mom! As soon as I get home, I'll take some pictures of it.

My mom found some projects as well (for me to do for her) - she wants some bed socks, so we purchased some Iceland yarn in a nice multi-colored red/blue/purple. She also picked out some Merino roving for me to spin and make her a cuddly and warm winter scarf....it's a gorgeous blue with multicolored fibers blended in that will give the resulting yarn some depth. (There were so many color choices that she had a bit of a time making her selection!)

If you're ever in the area, this is a MUST stop at shop! (In the area means within a 2 hour radius of Marengo) Toni is so sweet and her shop is wonderful! We traveled 93 miles to get there....and it was well worth it! We stopped at a wonderful restaurant, Crumpet's Tea Room in Genoa, Ill. on the way to Toni's and had lunch. Mom and I already decided that a trip to "The Fold" will be a tradition when I come to Illinois for a visit.

3 Comments:

  • At 7:14 PM, Blogger Nic said…

    Well aren;t you living the life,,, going to festivals, neat shops. Im so jealous in the knitting waste land of Vegas! I drove past goats yesterday and I'll could think is that even though they aren't angora-y maybe they do have something knittable on them.

     
  • At 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds like an awesome trip! Aren't mom's great enablers for fiber habits??

    ~SP

     
  • At 9:11 AM, Blogger Jinann said…

    Yup.....and my daughter is too! (She's taking me to some yarn shops for my Mother's Day treat when I get to Michigan!!!)

    Wahoo!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home