Have Ewe Any Wool?

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

My Aunt's "Knitty Birthday"

I've taken care of a few UFO's and was able to give my Aunt 3 "holiday's" worth of gifts. She FINALLY got the dish cloths that I made for last year's birthday.......exactly one year late! They're knitted out of Wendy Cotton Supreme: one is turquoise, one is coral/melon and the last one is a bright yellow. She says they're too pretty to use! I told her I can make her more any time she wants, I just thought the colors were nice and bright and "summery".....and I want her to USE THEM!!!!.

I made her "Christmas Socks" while I was there also. I wanted to make some bulky wash & wear socks for her to wear in the winter time to keep her feet warm in spite of the drafts that come with old farm houses. I had the first sock nearly done, but needed her to "try it on" to make sure I had the size right. It was too funny......when she saw me knitting the first day, she said, "If those are for me, make them big!". She was so shocked when I had her try them on. She said she was just joking around with me....I didn't have to make her any socks. I told her that I had aways planned to make them for her - I showed her the paper that I kept the pattern and "counts" on.....at the top said "Aunt Rita's Christmas Socks". So.....she finally believed me! (Her feet really give her problems.....even slippers bother her at times, so I REALLY wanted to make her some nice "keep the feet warm" socks.)

The final "knitty gift" was for THIS year's birthday. It was a flower face cloth made in purple Crystal Palace Cotton Chenille - from the pattern in Melanie Falick's book, "Weekend Knitting". I also gave her some hand made soap in the "Plumeria" fragrance that I'd purchased at the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival. She loved it! (I get the feeling she won't use the face cloth either!) It was fun actually BEING here ON her birthday - we had a big cookout at the farm to celebrate.....plus, I got to see her unwrap everything in person!

4 Comments:

  • At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Are you EVER coming home?????

    Lissa the Lost

     
  • At 7:51 PM, Blogger Nic said…

    HAHA so it's great when people are really impressed with simple things to knit, but the a little less great when they think are too fabulous to use... but really, out of all the problems to have, not a bad one!

     
  • At 7:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Way to go, crafty lady! It's so much fun watching people receive gifts, especially one's you made just for them.

     
  • At 9:05 AM, Blogger Jinann said…

    I'll eventually be home.....having fun with the daughter and visiting Michigan Yarn shops right now.....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home