Have Ewe Any Wool?

Thursday, May 31, 2012

WEAVING!!!

Wahoo!  Sandy, one of my fellow Blue Ridge Spinners and Weavers, thought it would be a great idea to weave something special for Beth…the founder and former president of our group.  It’s also a special anniversary of the group – we’re officially 10 years old!

The project Sandy came up with was to craft valances for Beth’s new weaving and fiber arts studio.  I felt honored to have the chance to help weave.  Thankfully, the weave was a plain weave – very fine linen and linen/cotton in a lace pattern that’s done by the warp rather than by fancy treadling.  (This is important as I really haven’t done any weaving on a “real loom”!   I’ve only worked on triangle looms and rigid heddle looms.)  Since the threads were so thin, you had to weave slowly…making sure that the weft threads didn’t “catch'” on the warp threads – slow was the perfect speed for me!!!

Sandy had warped a loom and had setup a schedule of times so we could each come to her lovely home and weave in her studio…overlooking rolling hills, an alpaca farm, and a horse farm.   The actual weaving took place in early April for me.   Several others from Blue Ridge Spinners and Weavers wove both before and after  I did.   It was definitely a group project.

me_weaving_april_7_2012The valence edges were finished by Chantal and presented to Beth at the BRSWG end-of-year potluck.  Unfortunately, I had to miss the presentation as I was working.   However, I had been able to contribute to the creation!  I felt so honored that Sandy was willing to take the time to tutor essentially a “non-weaver” on the finer points of weaving lace.   It took me nearly 3 hours, but I did a measurable amount!   I wove a full 12 inches!  Wahoo!!!!   AND…the best thing is that it was on the same type of loom that I have at home– now I just have to get it warped and start weaving – I KNOW I can do it!!!!

The pattern itself was beautiful.   I was intrigued by the idea that the patterning was in the warp, rather than the treadling.   I have so much to learn! 

IMG_2877IMG_2878 IMG_2880IMG_2879 

The entire time I was weaving, I got to look out at the beautiful countryside.   What a fabulous way to spend a Saturday morning – weaving in the peace and solitude of the country.

IMG_2881 IMG_2882 IMG_2883    IMG_2887IMG_2884

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home