Have Ewe Any Wool?

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Hand Crafted Shoe Laces

.


I finally finished the shoe laces I had started for DH's grandmother using my Lucet.







Fresh off the lucet before trimming the ends.






One lace with a couple of pieces of shrink wrap tubing that I'm using for the lace "tips". (The shrink wrap showed up much better without the flash...)





The finished laces - I gave them a quick rub down with waxed paper to give them a smooth finished look.





The shrink wrap tubing worked great as shoe lace tips! I let them cover a little of the ending thread and then trimmed it off. The clear shrink wrap tubing (purchased from Radio Shack) was perfect for the shoe lace tips. Who knew that Radio Shack would be a source for materials for fiber arts?

I was quite pleased with how the laces turned out. My initial attempts to make the cording was a bit "lumpy-bumpy", but after a little practice, my cording smoothed out. There are still a couple of places that are slightly lumpy, but I managed to keep a fairly even tension and made relatively smooth shoe laces.

DH delivered them to his grandmother this weekend and she was absolutely thrilled! Her favorite shoes require 27" tan laces...and they're all but impossible to find! None of the stores in our area have any - we had bought the last few pairs weeks ago. She's especially thrilled with the fact that no one else has a pair of shoe laces like hers plus, these laces are a much better color match for her shoes. I don't have a photo of Mema's shoes with the laces in them, but I'll try to get one at some point.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:16 AM, Blogger Mia said…

    What beautiful laces!

     
  • At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anne Campbell said…

    Now that is truly cool! They look so terribly useful. That looks like a great technique to master.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home