Have Ewe Any Wool?

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

June is Starting Off Great!

First off, I've nearly finished knitting my shawl out of "Loopy" - my big challenge now is to figure out at what point to quit knitting and then add the fringe. The circs I'm knitting with are only 24", so I can't "try on" the shawl to see if it's done or not. I have two choices: slip the whole thing off onto scrap yarn and try it on....OR....do a calculation as the to width of the shawl vs. my desired size.

Secondly, I've signed up for the Goddess Knits Mystery Shawl KAL - hopefully, I'm better at that than I was with Mystery Stole 3 - which is STILL a UFO. I guess I still can't get past the "wing design"....and if I don't do a wing, I'll have to graft 90 some stitches together. (I'm not a very good grafter either!) The shawl from Goddess Knits is a Pi shawl.....I've never made one of those, so I'm pretty excited about doing that!

Next, I've finished off the soap sacks and wash cloths for my mom - FINALLY! They were actually finished a couple of weeks ago, I wove in the ends on Memorial Day weekend, and finally NOW, I've added the satin ribbon. The soap scents I chose for her are "Blueberry" and "Lily of the Valley" - they are yummy! Both are handcrafted soaps from Penn Oak Farm. I personally always buy their "Oatmeal" soap every year at the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival. (Photo to be added later).

Finally, on Sunday, I managed to grab a few hours of knitting with some friends at Panera once again. Gretchen had a fabulous new game that we were attempting to play, but I got called away before we could get it all sorted out. It's called "Shear Panic". I did find an interesting web video about the game - it shows the reviewer and the creators of the game discussing "how to play" - too cute! They're all dressed in kilts!

Additionally, I was getting a tutorial from Elizabeth on her fabulous sfghan she's making out of left over sock yarn. I LOVE it! I caught Elizabeth in a very funny mood....and she hid behind her blanket as I snapped the first photo - what a ham! In the second photo, you can see some of the "Shear Panic" game pieces "lounging comfortably" on her blanket! I took several photos of her Elizabeth's blanket as well as a close-up or two of a square "in progress". I'm hoping to post more about it in the near future - perhaps as somewhat of a tutorial....with her permission, of course! It's such an ingenious design - there are no ends to weave in when you're done! She had some special "tricks" that she uses to virtually eliminate the finishing! She has NOT blocked this at all and you can see how nice and flat it lies....incredible!

3 Comments:

  • At 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    do you have another circ of same size? if so, work half onto this pin and you will get an idea of width.
    Enid

     
  • At 7:06 PM, Blogger Jinann said…

    That's a great idea! Unfortunately, I decided to rip it out and use a much bigger needle size. I'll definitely use your idea when I try it again. Thanks!

     
  • At 9:00 AM, Blogger Mia said…

    Oh my that afghan is gorgeous! What a great use for leftover yarn.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home