Have Ewe Any Wool?

Thursday, April 24, 2008

NY Mini-vacation - Arrival and Fiber Fun

Wow! Who knew I'd take a mini-vacation to upstate New York with hubby and turn it into a very "fiber related" expedition! We left early last Thursday morning and arrived just in time for a lunch on NY Style Pizza at Picnic Pizza in Kingston - it was fabulous...as always!

Then we were off to check into our room at Catskill Rose in Mt. Tremper. My friend Pete and his wife Rose are the Innkeepers as well as the superb chefs at their restaurant. They were on vacation this week, so the restaurant was closed...but, looking on the bright side, that gave us time to visit with them a bit more as they weren't busy with the restaurant. (Their food is absolutely fabulous, so if you're ever up near Woodstock or Kingston, NY, you definitely MUST stop here!)

Then, we just "kicked back and relaxed" for a while. The weather was so beautiful that I decided to move my spinning wheel out onto the porch for a while and get some spinning in as well. I finished a bobbin of the hand-dyed merino I bought from my friend Jerry...and started the second bobbin! It was a very relaxing end to a wonderful day.

Then it was off to Woodstock for shopping and dinner....

I managed to find a really cute hand-crafted felt bag from Nepal at "Tibetan Arts and Crafts". Somehow, I always seem to find some wonderful fiber arts where ever I end up! I picked up a cotton "Aum" coverlet and some earrings there as well. There is a lot of "wool" in the store as they had many wonderful rugs, sweaters, and felted bags. The smell of the lanolin and wool was a very familiar and inviting scent!

Ghala Khamba, the proprietor, is a fabulous rug weaver and had many samples of his rugs as well as several imported rugs for sale in his shop. There were also some beautiful pillow shams. Ghala said he was the first Tibetan rug weaver in North America...and his rugs are just beautiful! The shop is very welcoming and has a number of very interesting handcrafted items for sale at very reasonable prices. (I didn't think to bring my camera to the shop, so I don't have any photos of the fabulous wares that populate the shop.)

My next stop was at Woodstock Wine and Liquor to see if they had any interesting wines. The wine master led me to to the Shiraz, and I selected one that he'd chosen ot order...a yummy Shiraz called "Zontes Footsteps" It's actually a Shiraz blended with Viognier (95% Shiraz, 5% Viognier) It's a red wine with a touch of white blended in. It was a very enjoyable wine....I'll definitely be getting more of it!

Another favorite shop is Pegasus Shoes. They have a wonderful variety of "Earth Shoes", Merrell, Keen, Crocs, Ugg....and many other comfort shoes. The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. They go out of their way to make the shopping experience fun as well. I have honestly never been in any other shoe store where I received such exceptional customer service....and was entertained at the same time!

The final stop on Thursday evening was at the Landau Grill for dinner. They always have a wonderful selection of food - all freshly prepared by a talented chef. They generally have a couple of specials every evening....the hard part is selecting just one! This time, I had grilled seafood on skewers (shrimp, talapia, and salmon) served on a bed of chilled couscous salad with chopped fresh veggies. On the side were slices of fresh cucumber and avocado. Their beer selection is quite extensive as well - much to DH's pleasure! Dinner was "al fresco" as the weather was an absolutely perfect mid-70's!

On the knitting front, I started a new pair of socks while on the road. I managed to knit most of the cuff of a new sock in the car before our arrival...and between stints of being the "navigator" for the trip. I decided to use "Sockotta" - a cotton/wool blend in a purple, blue, and grey color way - perfect for this time of year. I also managed to nearly finish the foot on the Colinette "Fruit Coulis" socks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home