Have Ewe Any Wool?

Thursday, April 10, 2008

"Weavings" by Brook

This has definitely been my month for "weaving talk". I met another weaver this past weekend. Brook just "happened to have" some of her work in her car. She graciously offered to bring it in so I could look at it and be inspired. She too has contributed to my enthusiasm over the weaving class I'll be taking on Saturday!



This scarf is so cuddly - I think I'll definitely have to make a few of these once I start weaving. I see handwoven scarves in the future for several folks on my Christmas list! The variety of colors, fibers, and textures will make them very unique gifts at the very least. Perhaps I'll even weave with some handspun???



The next item Brook showed me was her rug/saddle pad. I just love it! I'm thinking that I need to make some bedroom rugs....definitely with an Indian pattern like hers. And the colors - oh, my, the choice of colors! On the right is her "study in color". I just love the idea of playing around with the different warp and weft combinations to determine which combinations you like best. I'll definitely add that to my "to-do" list.









The final item was something that's definitely on my list of things to weave as well - a set of placemats. I love the color detail on the edges of these....very nice. She has a full set of four - what a lovely table setting they make!


I definitely think I'll be seeking out my friend Carol to help me determine the warp and fiber content for a "winter stole". I lusted after hers when we worked together last year. It was made of Alpaca and something else - I just can't remember what. It was lovely! Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of it, so you'll have to trust me on that one. As I recall, it was a relatively simple weave as well, so I SHOULD be able to make it before next Winter! Of course, this all hinges on whether or not I manage to master the weaving process (crosses fingers and looks hopeful).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home