Have Ewe Any Wool?

Monday, November 02, 2009

Knitting Progress

In October, I finished several projects - hurrah! I think I'm finally back in knitting mode! Hopefully, I can keep up the momentum. This month, I have numerous projects started or on the horizon:

"Weekend Retreat Cardi" (Lion Brand) - cast on and started this one this evening. It should be a quick knit. Originally, I was going to alter the pattern to have capped sleeves, but I've since decided that a long sleeved would be perfect. Therefore, instead of the featured short-sleeves, I'm creating a long sleeved version. I've also decided that I want my sweater to be much longer than is shown in the pattern. I want it to pretty much cover the back side rather than be cropped at the waist. I'm using Brown Sheep "Serendipity Tweed" in the Poinsettia colorway. The yarn is 60% cotton and 40% wool, so it's perfect for the fall and spring....as well as in the winter if you just need that "added little something" to ward off the chill.

I've wound up a skein of the Suffolk/Dorset blend from Solitude so I can cast on my boot socks at any moment. I'll probably start them by the end of the week. (My first pair will be in purple.)

I've cast on and am currently working another pair of 3x1 ribbed socks using the "Hellen's Favorite Socks" pattern by Fiber Trends. I've done this sock so often, that now, I know the pattern by heart! This is definitely my "go to pattern" for socks.


Last month, I had finished knitting my linen stitch pillow. Now, I've finally sewn it together. I really like how it looks. The Wisdom Yarns "Poems" has a lovely striping effect and is much softer than the similar Noro that I've used in the past. I also like how each side of the pillow is unique - the exact same striping does not occur on both sides. Although the knitting is complete, and the pillow has been sewn, I'm still struggling with whether or not to attach the cording. I picked my favorite colors from the pillow (purple and teal) and created a twisted cord. I'm not sure how/if I should attach it, or if I should just let it be considered complete "as is".



Front (above left)
Back (above right)
Cording (below)


In the Nancy Bush class, I learned some fabulous new "cast ons" - I'm trying to decide on which project I'll apply these cast-ons! I need to start some mittens....or perhaps yet another pair of socks....so I can properly attempt the "braided cast-on".

I need to continue working on my "giant sock" for the MA Christmas Stocking exchange. It's been knitted up for quite a while, but I have yet to felt it or embellish it. It must be shipped by Nov. 15, so I've really got to get busy. Thankfully, I have most of the gifts that are to be enclosed, so that part will be easy. I just need to wrap them all!

Finally, on the spinning front, my Rambouillet is back from Ohio Valley! Today, the postman delivered nearly 18 lbs. of luscious ivory colored goodness. Instead of "three bags full", I received "three boxes full" - it's much easier to ship that way! This wool had quite a bit of VM in it, but tOhio Valley did a wonderful job getting most of it out. The comments on the processing sheet said this wool was "yolky". When I asked what the comment meant, they told me that the slight yellow coloring is probably due to a high corn diet. Who knew? Hmmm.....I wonder if one could get pink wool by feeding a sheep lots of beets??? Just a thought......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home