Have Ewe Any Wool?

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Wahoo! Today is; "World Wide Spin in Public Day" and "International Talk Like a Pirate Day"

.
Today should be a very fun day for everyone - if you're a spinner, you can celebrate "World Wide Spin in Public Day" and if not, you can always join in "International Talk Like a Pirate Day".

"World Wide Spin in Public Day" is always on the 3rd Saturday of September. It's a great way to celebrate spinning....and this year, they've suggested extending the celebration so it can be any time from Sept. 18 through 20th - making it the entire weekend. If you need ideas on how to celebrate, check out the WWSIP website.

"International Talk Like a Pirate Day" is a great way to exercise your creativity and have a lot of fun in the process. This "holiday" occurs on September 19th every yearn. If you're at a loss as to how to celebrate, check out the official website to see how people have celebrated in the past - Talk Like a Pirate Day.



I'm celebrating both "holidays" today. I'll be wearing my "Yaaaaarn" T-shirt and sipping coffee out of my Aaaargh! mug. I'll probably try my hand at a little "pirate speak" as well.

















On the spinning front, I'll be spinning with my brand new "Turkish Delight Drop Spindle" that was lovingly handcrafted by Ed Jenkins in Oregon. It's a wonderful little spindle that can even fit in your pocket. It's perfect for toting along anywhere! Ed and his wife Wanda were wonderful to deal with - I ordered my spindle on the 10th of September (after checking to see what woods would be available) and received it on the 18th - just in time for "World Wide Spin in Public Day"! I felt that "World Wide Spin in Public Day" would be the perfect venue to take my new spindle for a spin!

The spindle is very light weight - perfect for spinning lace weight yarn. My friend Elizabeth had one and it spun like a dream! It's both a high quality tool and a work of art. The drop spindle arrived swaddled in bright yellow tissue paper secured by a nice length of roving - just so you have something to start spinning with! Inside, it was wrapped in a light and airy silk hankie what came with instructions on how to spin the silk. How awesome is that!










I don't plan to keep my celebration of spinning to just the one day. Just like the organizers recommended....I'll continue it through the weekend. Tomorrow is the Bluemont Festival and I'll be demonstrating spinning at the festival in the morning. The weather is supposed to be perfect, so it should be a lot of fun.

How are you going to celebrate?

3 Comments:

  • At 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    happy spin in public day jinann! I'll do a dervish spin to music in my living room in honor!
    --Paula

     
  • At 9:34 AM, Blogger peahen said…

    Just seen this post - hope you enjoyed Spin in Public Day! If you have any photos, I've started a Flickr group for public knitting / spinning photos: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1240812@N23/ - Just join and add your photos. Coincidence! I took a Turkish spindle out too - I was spinning fine yarn, which it's great for because it's nice and light.

     
  • At 2:06 PM, Blogger K @ Tidewater Knits said…

    Hooray for spinning in public! I'm envious of you having other like-minded people around to spin/knit/share with. <3

     

Post a Comment

<< Home